High Res audio on Raspberry Pi with Wolfson sound card

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Looking at finding a way of streaming Hi Res Audio from my NAS drive to my DAC.

Has anybody managed to get this working on a Raspberry Pi with the new Wolfson sound card?

If it works, it would be a really good cheap solution.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I have an existing Squeezebox Touch (with the EDO mod) in the lounge on my main HiFi which streams Hi-Res from Logitech Media Server on a PC in another room.

I wanted another player for my bedroom - so that I can listen whilst the family watch TV in the lounge. Rather than buy another SBT (which are expensive now Logitech have discontinued them) - I bought the Wolfson Card to clip onto a Raspberry Pi. I also bought a dedicated case for the Pi with the Wolfson Card mounted.

I created an install image using the information on the Squeezeplug website to load onto an SD Card to put into the Pi. This install includes all the drivers for the Wolfson card and software to allow the Pi to mimic a Squeezebox Touch (this is the SqueezeLite player software).

I am delighted as for very little money I have a clone of a Squeezebox Touch which sounds every bit as good. The only thing missing is the Squeezebox Touch's screen - you have to operate the Pi from a Tablet or Phone application like Squeeze Commander.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Presumably the Wolfson card Pi card is a DAC card. This might not suit the OP who, if I understand correctly, already has a DAC that he wants to use.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
ifor said:
Presumably the Wolfson card Pi card is a DAC card. This might not suit the OP who, if I understand correctly, already has a DAC that he wants to use.

....well yes the Wolfson Card is a DAC but in fact you can also use it to output SPDIF digital sound through a coaxial lead. In fact this is what I do as in my second Bedroom system I already have the excellent Beresford Bushmaster DAC. As the Bushmaster also has a very fine headphone amp I like to use this with my Sennheiser HD650s (which sound superb through the Beresford Bushmaster DAC Headphone Amp).

The Pi Wolfson Card is really a very flexible bit of kit - and excellent value for money. It is simply a great way of getting quality sound out of a Pi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts