High quality DACs - MDAC/NAIM/TEDDY/WEISS

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding high quality DACs.

I only play digital from my mac, so debating whether I need my Naim 282 preamp. Currently using the Naim DAC.

Does anyone think if there would be any benefits in SQ by creating a simpler system without a separate pre amp, such as an Audiolab M-DAC straight into a Naim 250.2?

Other options are the lesser known Teddy Pardo DAC or the exuberant Weiss 202.

Any advice much appreciated!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Audiokid,

I would add the Wired 4 Sound DAC2 to the shortlist. It can be used straight into a power amp, has a remote, HT bypass, and a friendly price ticket.

Merry Christmas! :cheers:

A

Anonymous

Checkout the CASH list at computer audiophile. I have Ayre QB9. Its a good DAC. For example, PS Audio Mk II DAC. I am going to try one. Everyone says the Weiss is the "best" but its almost 5k. That's a lot of money. QB9 is half that price, and sometimes < 1500 on ebay.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have narrowed it down now. Either I keep the complex Naim system (NDAC/XPS//282/PSU/250.2), or swap out with the following and save some money and some space:

- MDAC > 250.2

- MDAC > Audiolab 8200p for system matching

- Teddy DAC > 250.2

- Teddy DAC > Teddy Monoblocks

The Audiolab is easier to buy and sell on, the Teddy is trickier. Will it beat the Naim? I'm not so sure, but if it gets close and the system is simpler and cheaper then it's a good result. Any thoughts welcome.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I auditioned the MDac at home with the Rega. I found the MDac very articulate, the Rega had a very different sound, detailed, but with a more analogue sound which I felt made it better with a broader range of music. It also produced more bass weight than the Audiolab.

The thing that turned me away from the Audiolab was the build quality, it felt cheap and one of the RCA sockets came out whilst swapping interconnects. Obviously the Rega's no good for you as it doesn't have a pre-amp, but I'd be wary of the MDac build quality. My heart is set on the Mytek when funds allow.

mytek_stereo192_black_preamp.jpg

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
pete321 said:
I auditioned the MDac at home with the Rega, I found the MDac very articulate. The Rega had a very different sound, detailed, but with a more analogue sound which I felt made it better with a broader range of music. It also produced more bass weight than the Audiolab.

The thing turned me away from the Audiolab was the build quality, it felt cheap and one of the RCA sockets came out whilst swapping interconnects. Obviously the Rega's no good for you as it doesn't have a pre-amp, but I'd be wary of the MDac build quality. My heart is set on the Mytech when funds allow.

There have been some quality issues with early M-DACs such as the phono outer ground conductor coming away when removing cables & reference crystals failing. Both problems have been ironed out in later batches. I never heard the Rega against the M-DAC so obviously can't comment on the sonic differences. However, I'm one owner who remains impressed with the sound that's been tweaked by various firmware updates plus the option to dim the display automatically after 30". If you only need digital inputs, the M-DAC with it's digital volume control will obviate the need for a preamp - I drive a power amp directly from mine. The M-DAC is neither alone in having a volume control nor having a digital one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts