High end headphone suggetions

JoshCohenMorgan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I've recentley decided to try give vinyl a go, and if I like it my dad is going to give me his turntable (He doesn't remember the model exactley, but it's a Project one which he thinks he bought for around £200 about 9 years ago) and I want some good headphones to do it justice. Because of this, I really feel like investing in some really nice headphones. I'm not going to lie, my best pair of headphones I have at the moment are the Monster Beats Pro (Please don't hate me), I didn't buy them for a fashion statement, they don't leave the house! To be honest, I quite like their sound and for whenever I need closed backs when family are around, I use them and I shan't be replacing them any time soon. However, as the turntable shall be upstairs, I'll be able to get away with a second pair of headphones which I want to be open backed. I listen mostly to 90s Hip Hip and some reggae, so, although they don't have to be coloured as such, they do need to be able to convey a decent amount of bass weight, I don't mean as much as the Monsters, but they need to have good bass. The only other thing really is they can't be ridiculous money, I'm looking maybe around £500, possibly a bit more if I can be persuaded there is a significant jump. A last piece of information is my headphone amp is the YS-A1, a Beyerdynamic A1 copy (If I could afford the actual A1 I would have got that) and to be honest, it does sound bloody good. My uncle, a true hi-fi purist who knows what sounds good and has hated my Monsters, said that the amp sounded great, and helped balance them a lot. Infact, he even used his Beyerdynamic T1 'phones through them and they sounded amazing. Anyway, so if anyone has any suggestions for what headphones would be good for me, please do share!

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
New or 2nd Hand / Ex Dem?

I would try something from the Grado range. You might be able to pick up an ex-demo / used GS1000 for £500

jjbomber

Firstly, if you like the sound of the Monster Beats pro, then good for you. All that matters is what you like the sound of. That's all reviews are in the main, just people's opinions. You have to go with what you like. You're entitled to have a different opinion to others.

Secondly, if you like the Beyerdynamics sound and find them amazing, then that should be your first port of call. The T70 would be in budget but it may be worth a bit extra for the T5p. Listen to both and decide.

Finally, if it was me (but it isn't), I would go for the Sennheiser HD700 'phones. Different people have different tastes. You have to do what is best for JoshCohenMorgan, not what is best for someone else.

JoshCohenMorgan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
To clarfiy, I don't mind getting a 2nd hand pair on an ex-demo pair, so that could definitely be a possibility. Also, thank you for your advice jjbomber, very useful. I really do like the look of the T5p and having a read into them it may be worth the stretch. I also like the idea of a pair of Grados quite a bit, maybe the PS500 of GS1000, but not entirely sure. However, I doubt I'll go for the Sennheiser HD700 as unless I can demo a set in store, I don't think their sound signiture is for me. Anyway, keep the suggestions coming, anyone have any experience with any of the mentioned headphones, or others in this price range such as the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a pair of the AHT-W1000X for a short while, they are not great, especially with the type of music you listen to. They have a horrible mid treble boost which is really grating after a while, they were good with vocal and some classical music, they would be excellent with audio books :)

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, actually there are a lot of options.

As you mentioned yourself you want listen to modern music.

The first headphone that came to mind is the HD600.

It has very good bass with excellent clarity and tonal separation.

In fact it is looked at to be one of the finest headphones you can get for the money. (and an excellent all-rounder)

But you shouldn't stop looking there.

Beyerdynamic's T1 are excellent as well but somewhat pricier.

If you really want to compare I would look at:

Hifiman planar range, Audio Technica, Shure, Grado (I'm not sure it would be my first choice for this kind of music), and many others.

You could see almost the entire line-up on head-fi to compare what's available in that class.

And nobody will recommend you a beats anymore ;-)

JoshCohenMorgan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I have been looking at some Sennheisers. Would you recomend the HD650 over the HD600? Also, you're probably right about the Grados, although it was a much lower model, I did have a SR125i, and although the clarity was excellent, it just didn't do much for me.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
First of all, liking the sound is not "All that matters" as some people say. If headphones are severely colored and users turn up the volume to compensate (as is the natural thing to do), hearing damage is the end result.

You do like the bassy, non-bright sound of Beats, but some of these recommendations such as Grados and Beyer T1 are not only bright, but you're looking at vinyl playback with surface noise and ticks and pops, which are made much worse with brightness. So you probably want a darker sound, not a brighter sound.

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
No, for modern music the HD600 is preferred because it's faster paced and has somewhat more definition in the bass region.

Nice and neutral with excellent dynamics and transients.

You really need to test whatever headphone with your amp first to be sure they match.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
although I have tried neither of them I would recommend the Denon AH-D7100 and the Hifiman HE-500. The Denon because you say you like bass and apparently that one has a ton of it and it currently marked down from £1000 - £450 on eBay. The Hifiman because that's what I would be looking at for a single open headphone with that kind of money right now.

I stress that these are just recommendations and purely blind ones based on what I've read. You really should think about getting yourself to a demo room. If you're anywhere near the south then this one looks to have almost everything you could want - http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/headphone-demo.php

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
JoshCohenMorgan said:
Damn, shame about the Audio Technicas, they looked like a nice set, especially with the 5 star review. What system were you using them with?
I think I had the m-dac when I had them.....definitely didn't have the A1 then might have alternatively been an rdac with a MF X-can V3 can't remember, it was one of them two. I too was swayed by the five star review, won't make that mistake again.

You've been discussing the HD650 & HD600's, I originally had a pair of HD650's, I personally found them a tad dull to listen too but I do prefer a brighter sound. I currently have a pair of HD600's and they are brighter than the 650's, I also find the bass a little tighter. If you like the Beats presentation I would probably say the 650's would suit you well.

With reference to Grado's I found the RS2i's to shrill and lacking in bass, the cheaper SR80i's were OK but lacked top end treble and sounded a little nasally. I have a pair of custom build Grado style cans fitted with Magnum V4 drivers and they sound extremely good.

Quadpatch might be onto something with the Denon's although I haven't heard them either, maybe a pair of D7000's would suit well if you can find any.

JoshCohenMorgan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm really liking the idea of either the Sennheiser HD600 or 650, the Hi-Fi man he-500 and the Denon D7100. I'd love to get the Denons now at the money they are, but I won't be buying anything for a couple of months, June at the latest and current offers will probably stop by then. The HiFiMan looks really impressive, possibly more so than the Sennheiser HD650, but I know the HD650 does have some really good reviews. As Dalethron said earlier, it would probably be best to go for a darker set as I will most likely be using vinyl as my source.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of HD650, however unlike a few people I don't actually find them boring, and agree that the bass response is solid and well extended but doesn't become muddy or boomy. They can lack a bit of top end sparkle and treble, but I have found that replacing the stock cable with a good quality silver plated copper cable (I have the Toxic Cable Viper) improves the top end considerably.

I also own a pair of T70p's (the 32Ohm version) and find that sometimes these are the opposite to the HD650 and the treble is a little bit too much depending on what you are listening to. I think the T5 would certainly be an improvement over the T70.

A

Anonymous

I upgraded my AKG Q701 headphones to HifiMAN's HE-500s last September. They are great headphones, probably not as bassy as you are used to, but the bass is tight, controlled and tunefull and the mid range is sublime. They are heavy to wear compare to others, but thats due to the orthodynamic drivers.

I bought mine from a German dealer as they are cheaper in Europe, service was excellent and there is a 14 day return if you change your mind (I understand that this is German law)

http://www.blackpearls-shop.de/epages/61412864.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61412864/Products/HE-500

I actually got mine from his ebay site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADPHONES-HIFIMAN-MODEL-HE-500-HYBRID-CONSTRUCTION-NEW-/310562036211?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item484ef099f3&_uhb=1

You can get cheaper on ebay from outside the EU - but then you have to factor import duties, which you don't from Germany.

I listened to various high end headphones at the Whittlebury show last year, whilst not the best environment to compare headphones (and I may be biased...) the HifiMANs were my favorites.

g777o

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
+1 for 650's

I had grado 325si's for a year before I bought a pair of HD650's and a Graham slee amp.

i can listen to the senns for hours and they do not get tiresome, IMO the grados were only good for one album per session, you need to rest your head after that.

JoshCohenMorgan

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, after a lot of research I'm really sold on either the HIFIman HE-500s or the HD650, I know the price gap is pretty big so it may come down to funds at the time of buying, however I'm still not entirely sure. But keep suggestions coming if you like, I wont be buying anything for a couple of months.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
JoshCohenMorgan said:
By the way, if I do go for the Sennheiser HD650 'phones, does anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket cable or should I not bother?

The original cables for the 500 and 600 series are notorious for gradually producing distortion and eventually a disconnection. But all it is (in every case I encountered) is micro-corrosion in the connectors to the earcups. Just pull them out every few months and wipe them off, then blow out any residue in the little sockets with an air-spray can. Some replacement cables may alter the sound, so that may require research.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Quadpatch might be onto something with the Denon's although I haven't heard them either, maybe a pair of D7000's would suit well if you can find any.
Oh yeah I should have said that too. I love the D7000s still, they are like semi open btw, even though they say they're closed. They will be a bit hard to find in good condition perhaps. Check out eBay closer to the time you're ready to order. £500 is about the going rate for them too.

Btw im getting the HD650 tomorrow, will report back after I've spent some time with them.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
JoshCohenMorgan said:
By the way, if I do go for the Sennheiser HD650 'phones, does anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket cable or should I not bother?

Cables are very much a personal preference and open up a whole can of worms between people who think they work and people who think its just snake oil.

Personally I do find aftermarket cables work and I have a couple of them.....although to be honest do not expect a night and day difference. I changed my stock cable on my IEM's for a Toxic Cable Silver Poison and this made a big difference. Having done a lot of research on cables for the HD650 I have also purchased a Toxic Cable Viper for them....this is a silver plated copper cable with good connectors and a choice of 6.3mm or 3.5mm cables. The silver does increase the treble without diminishing the mids or bass response.

Prices vary, SPC is £80 from Toxic, my Silver Poison was £160

There are other companies, mainly in the US that are a lot more expensive and not as good....so take your time in deciding. I would suggest living with the stock cable for a while and then deciding if you need an aftermarket cable. Lots of reviews for cables on a well known headphone forum elsewhere.

Also just to let you know Toxic also do aftermarket cables for the HE500 and HE400.......

The HE400 may also be another headphone to look at....comparable to the HD650 and cheaper than the HE500. A lot of people prefer the HD650 over the HE400 and 500 for longer listening sessions.

Also on a final note, the HD650 scale very well with future amp upgrades.....they really are a very versatile headphone....which work extremely well with amps within the £500 - £1,000 price bracket without sounding as though you need better cans.

TRENDING THREADS