hifi system matching with age.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Do you think choice of hifi system matching comes down to age.?would you go for a hyper analytical system when you were younger and prompt for a more laid back system the older you get?

damonster said:
Do you think choice of hifi system matching comes down to age.?would you go for a hyper analytical system when you were younger and prompt for a more laid back system the older you get?

In the sense that hearing loss progresses with age then no, its probably the other way around. ;-)

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

In the sense that hearing loss progresses with age then no, its probably the other way around.   ;-)
[/quote] yes but at family wedding discos it's always your old nan that would sit in a quiet room because she couldn't stand the noise. there may be a point to this though. When we were younger we had big boomy Bass boxes on the back shelfs of cars thinking we were the bees knees. It may be the case that a 18 _20 year old might like a system like a cambridge and audiolab with metal dome tweeters and the older generation may prefer arcam,valve amps and silk dome tweeters. That's the thing with this forum. People contradict one another. One may say audiolab is clinical the other will say nonsense. Arcam laid back nonsense arcam is boring. this may be an opinion of a twenty year old vs the opinion of a 60 year old. But this is never taken into account.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think people are pre-disposed to like either a smoother, or a more forward anaytical sound...and that stays with you.

I also think that at the cheaper, or mid priced system end of the market, compromises have (obviously) to be made...so systems are often either on the smooth, or the analytical side.

As you go up in cost, the portrayal becomes much more natural and lifelike, so the 2 different camps come closer together.

I have of course generalized a bit...and there are big exceptions to the rule....it's about degrees.

I think you make an interesting point. However I don't think any of us can really know.

We are all products of our own life experiences. Some of our lives will be touched by music in different ways. It might be a first dance at a disco, or a live band or concert, or in my own case a recollection of my grandfather playing his upright Bechstein piano before Sunday lunch!

Also, as a teenager I had a couple of relatives and family friends with different types of Hi-Fi systems. Mechanical things were always of interest, so I guess the seeds were sown!

Youngsters today may listen to phones and earbuds, something totally alien to me. However, the simple answer for me is that audio or Hi-Fi is meant to replicate the original recording or experience. With an orchestra or a recital (say a solo violin, piano, or singer) it is pretty easy to hear an 'original'. With a studio-created band there is no reference - so what sounds nice is what buyers buy!

gasolin

loud when your young, stil loud when you getting half deaf but more detailed and musical

Like power amps from nad and cerwin vegas when your young and mabye big still punchy but much more detailed B&W 683,dali ikon,mentor,monitor audio silver and either a small tube amp or some big denons,marantz,sony...... power amp

When your young you want a fast car, you still want that when your older but now comfort finish is more important like an audi a6 (B&O or dynaudio sound system) mercedes e .........

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think people are pre-disposed to like either a smoother, or a more forward anaytical sound...and that stays with you.

I also think that at the cheaper, or mid priced system end of the market, compromises have (obviously) to be made...so systems are often either on the smooth, or the analytical side.
,That's what would be interesting to find out. if the smooth or analytical sound does stay with us or are our upgrade choices or what we believe to be upgrade choices influenced through decades as we age and our acceptance and tolerance of noise changes.As grandparents say the good thing about grandchildren is that you can give them back at the end of the day. We could start a new topic and simply get people to post 20,s,30.s 40,s and so on and just leave their signature then we could be our own judges.or see if a pattern forms. Between age and house sounds that people prefer.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
loud when your young, stil loud when you getting half deaf but more detailed and musical

Like power amps from nad and cerwin vegas when your young and mabye big still punchy but much more detailed B&W 683,dali ikon,mentor,monitor audio silver and either a small tube amp or some big denons,marantz,sony...... power amp 

When your young you want a fast car, you still want that when your older but now comfort finish is more important like an audi a6 (B&O or dynaudio sound system) mercedes e .........
It's quite funny reading your post gasoline. When I started writing this topic I had about 5 paragraphs written down pretty similar to what your saying but had to delete it as it all got too long winded. What I wanted to find out if someone could describe their system would everyone agree or disagree or does age, taste and hearing and tolerance factor. Eg 20 year old. My system. Cambridge audio cd, audiolab amp and mordaunt metal dome tweeters. Describe my system. Smooth, detailed. Where they might actually believe that. I in my 40's would describe it as over analytical and bright.It was triggered by reading a topic that someone wanted to match their speakers and most of the suggestions all would of made his system really smooth or really analytical. Could the age of the advisers been a factor in the advice given?

Gray

When your old Auntie / Granny told you her radiogram had "a nice tone", she meant it had bass compared to her wind-up gramophone.

She didn't tell you that due to a lack of any real midrange and HF, she couldn't tell which record was playing.

I've always wanted nothing brighter or duller than neutral. Haven't always had that of course (I inherited Aunties' radiogram), but I'm closer than ever these days. (We can always depend on the odd bad recording to let us down though)

Whatever your tone taste, by definition surely, if it's not neutral, it can't be described as a high fidelity system.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
damonster said:
gasolin said:
loud when your young, stil loud when you getting half deaf but more detailed and musical

When your young you want a fast car, you still want that when your older but now comfort finish is more important like an audi a6 (B&O or dynaudio sound system) mercedes e .........
It's quite funny reading your post gasoline. When I started writing this topic I had about 5 paragraphs written down pretty similar to what your saying but had to delete it as it all got too long winded. What I wanted to find out if someone could describe their system would everyone agree or disagree or does age, taste and hearing and tolerance factor. Eg 20 year old. My system. Cambridge audio cd, audiolab amp and mordaunt metal dome tweeters. Describe my system. Smooth, detailed. Where they might actually believe that. I in my 40's would describe it as over analytical and bright.It was triggered by reading a topic that someone wanted to match their speakers and most of the suggestions all would of made his system really smooth or really analytical. Could the age of the advisers been a factor in the advice given?
Another question will be, how do we know we hear a real musical instrument the same way as another. This may also account for people having different preferences when it comes to system matching.

Yes the older people get the more they want the music turned dwn. Well that has been my experience around friends and family.

gasolin

Native_bon said:
damonster said:
gasolin said:
loud when your young, stil loud when you getting half deaf but more detailed and musical

When your young you want a fast car, you still want that when your older but now comfort finish is more important like an audi a6 (B&O or dynaudio sound system) mercedes e .........
Another question will be, how do we know we hear a real musical instrument the same way as another. This may also account for people having different preferences when it comes to system matching.

Yes the older people get the more they want the music turned dwn. Well that has been my experience around friends and family.

Mabye they want to turn it down since modern music sounds like crap loud and agressive (loudness war) and if it's also metal like metallica todays (almost) led zeppelin,the doors,deep purple,rolling stones,bto,ccr

Back in the old days dire straits and the police not only made extremly good music, it also sounded good, the same with the betales remastered really good sound, much better the most modern music

gasolin

Gray said:
When your old Auntie / Granny told you her radiogram had "a nice tone", she meant it had bass compared to her wind-up gramophone.

She didn't tell you that due to a lack of any real midrange and HF, she couldn't tell which record was playing.

I've always wanted nothing brighter or duller than neutral. Haven't always had that of course (I inherited Aunties' radiogram), but I'm closer than ever these days. (We can always depend on the odd bad recording to let us down though)

Whatever your tone taste, by definition surely, if it's not neutral, it can't be described as a high fidelity system.

Mabye they where talking about tube amps or records,lps you know those big black think plastic things

damonster said:

No. Not with me. I started out in 1978 with a JVC receiver and Solavox speakers.... nice and toastie in presentation. It could not be a more of a contrast between the system I had in 78 and now.

Anyway, I going back to watch 'Kelly's Heroes'

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My taste hasn't changed. I don't get hung up on measurements, or the persuit of neutral. I judge a system on things that aren't measurable, like is it realistic, believeable, authentic, involving, emotive and euphonious.

I grew up playing an instrument in a youth orchestra and in a musical family, where we went to Classical concerts....so realism is what I seek. I never came out of a Classical concert thinking that the violins sounded screechy, the cymbols sounded harsh and splashy, or the piano sounded "plinky" etc

The fact you liked CA and Audiolab, puts you on the clean, detailed (sometimes lean) side of the audio spectrum....and a natural progression from there would be to Cyrus and Bryston (certainly not lean).

When people post with a problem, it is more often because the system sounds hard and unpleasant, than beacuse it sounds too smooth.

As I said in another thread, I think the midrange is where the magic happens...and strongly believe, that if every demo had a Valve amp as part of it, many more people would choose one. I have lost count of the number of times on here, that someone tried a Valve Amp for the first time and were gobsmacked at the difference it made.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
The fact you liked CA and Audiolab, puts you on the clean, detailed (sometimes lean) side of the audio spectrum....and a natural progression from there would be to Cyrus and Bryston (certainly not lean).

When people post with a problem, it is more often because the system sounds hard and unpleasant, than beacuse it sounds too smooth.

As I said in another thread, I think the midrange is where the magic happens...and strongly believe, that if every demo had a Valve amp as part of it, many more people would choose one. I have lost count of the number of times on here, that someone tried a Valve Amp for the first time and were gobsmacked at the difference it made.
[/quote] Thanks for the reply Cno. I am curious by what you mean by a natural progression? Or am I being a
bit thick?Are you saying that subconsciously that we are all on a journey towards valve Amps?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
damonster said:
Thanks for the reply Cno. I am curious by what you mean by a natural progression? Or am I being a bit thick?Are you saying that subconsciously that we are all on a journey towards valve Amps?

No, in your case (for your taste), I would put Audiolab/CA/Cyrus on a similar sonic spectrum...as opposed to say, Electrocomaniet, Arcam, Audio Analogue and Luxman.

Bryston is also very neutral, though imo a step up.

Regarding Valves......what I'm saying is that most people never find out whether they prefer them or not....and should at least find out for sure. There are of course people who have tried all sorts and know for sure what they like....but most don't, which is why I like coming up with suggestions that are a bit different.

If ever you get a chance to hear a VTL valve amp, you should take it.........it will totally disperse any preconceptions that Valves are always warm and gooey.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I could see myself with a Valve amp one day. The opinions of people who own and have listened they sound right up my street. Just worry about the valve maintenance side of things. That's what's holding me back for now I think oh and also the price of a descent entry level one. Thanks Cno.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
damonster said:
I could see myself with a Valve amp one day. The opinions of people who own and have listened they sound right up my street. Just worry about the valve maintenance side of things. That's what's holding me back for now I think oh and also the price of a descent entry level one. Thanks Cno.

Something like the hybrid Pathos might be a nice compromise.....again, worth trying to find a demo. Very different from what you're used to, though.

Challanging the auditory senses is fun and often enlightening....either opening up a whole new world, or telling you that what you have, is right for you.

I would also include amps like Accuphase and Luxman, in the "hearing what's out there" camp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Contemplating the pointlessness of it all :)

Summer time is ride time for me and this year its my new C'dale Supersix Evo.

Thinking of ridding myself of my music centre and go simple. Ruark R2/3 or QAcoustic BT3 or the like.

Wash and go.

drummerman said:
Contemplating the pointlessness of it all :)

Summer time is ride time for me and this year its my new C'dale Supersix Evo.

Thinking of ridding myself of my music centre and go simple. Ruark R2/3 or QAcoustic BT3 or the like.

Wash and go.
You'd regret it come the winter months, though!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I like a detailed, fast, responsive, dynamic sound above anything else. And that would apply at any age. What makes music real are those qualities for me. But I agree with cnoevil that once it comes together at better quality, you get bass smoothness too and everything pretty much.

But people talk about certain brands having a characteristic often until they hear it and think 'oh I didn't know that' but I generally go along with Cyrus being leaner than naim and say Arcam. But Cyrus is a great fast detailed sound. It's fantastic with the signature stuff and loads of bass too.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What Cyrus and pmc stuff do you have grey. May be able to offer some tips if it helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts