Hifi set up the produces a warm, detailed sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
subseastu said:
Plastic penguin, thanks for the fast reply. Your up and about late, or is it early?! Just looked at the MA BX2 and even though its an award winner I feel it could be a step down in quality to the Dali's (even though the dali's are about 6 years old now). What would you suggest in the £600-£1000 range as I think this would give a bigger improvement. I'd look at spending about the same on an amp as well in the future.

Understand - if you want to keep the Dalis longer look at amps such as Nad 356BEE, Creek Evo2, Arcam FMJ range (probably A28) or perhaps Marantz Pearl Lite. You'll really need to hear these with the Dalis to see which ones sound is the most contolled.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
thanks for the suggestions, I was also thinking maybe cyrus 6xp, or the naim 5i (italic) or the roksan k2. I know their all different but I get the feeling maybe the cyrus will control the bass better but then its probably not an overly warm sound but maybe the speakers will even it out. Not sure of the characturistics of the others. I'll just have to put a short list together and talk nicely to some dealers (and the wife) for some home demos.

subseastu said:
thanks for the suggestions, I was also thinking maybe cyrus 6xp, or the naim 5i (italic) or the roksan k2. I know their all different but I get the feeling maybe the cyrus will control the bass better but then its probably not an overly warm sound but maybe the speakers will even it out. Not sure of the characturistics of the others. I'll just have to put a short list together and talk nicely to some dealers (and the wife) for some home demos.

The problem with hi-fi is there is always a trade-off. If you want a highly detailed and precise amp usually the trade-off is warmth, and vice versa. To avoid the harshness steer clear of the following:

Cyrus, Naim, Rotel, Leema. Of course, if your room is heavily damped: soft furnishings, heavy curtains, carpet, wallpaper etc. then that'll be a different prospect.

For a reflective room look at: Arcam, Creek, Marantz, higher end Nads...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Naim Nait 5i will be fine, I've heard one with an array of Dali speakers, no harshness. The Ikons are big on treble but not offensively so when paired with the Naim.

Also heard the Dalis - a mate is hell bent on buying them - with the Unison research Unico. That's a nice combination, combining detail and precision while being a touch warmer than the Naim.

Another amp to consider is the new Rega Bria R (I think) which is a very good amp indeed.

Demoing is the best idea, though. What I think is detail could be fingernails down a chalkboard to you!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
subseastu said:

IMO These amps are taking you away from your original brief. There is certainly nothing wrong with giving them a good demo, just make sure you demo something from the opposite end of the spectrum before committing.....or you could well be back on here looking for further solutions.

It is quite possible to get an amp that is musical, exciting and detailed (without spending thousands). Don't jump at the first amp that sounds half reasonable, without listening to both valve and hybrid designs.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Again thanks every one (especailly plastic penguin) for all these suggestions and actually taking time to help me out. I think then its time to get a short list together now off the back of these suggestions and go for some demo's. Then try to narrow it down to 4 or so for a home demo. Thank you again everyone for all this help. Hopefully its saved me a lot of shoe leather running round the place sort demos of loads of amps. As and when I decided on something I'll let you all know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts