hifi separates for listening to classical music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I wondered whether anyone can help. I am looking for hifi separates for a small room 7 x 15 foot approx room has minimal furniture wooden floors and rug. Would like to listen to classical, jazz music and radio. I have been looking at the Arcam alpha 8 amps and cd and wondered what tuner and speaker makes would be suitable. Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What is you budget? You need good speakers for classical, floor standers if possible. I'd be thinking of Harbeth or Vienna acoustics, but neither come cheap.

Sliced Bread

If your budget allows, then you may find it worthwhile comparing some 3 way speakers alongside the usual two way culprits. The better speaker will be down to each individual case, however 3 way speakers can have a distinct advantage when it comes to complex classical music.

This is not a hard rule though as some manufacturers such as PMC make great 2 way speakers that work well with classical music, however it is definitely worth checking out in your auditions.

Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Hi

The budget is small around £300 and the operating system is conventional. What should I spend the most of the money on. Also what cables are the best?

Thanks

field said:
Hi

The budget is small around £300 and the operating system is conventional. What should I spend the most of the money on. Also what cables are the best?

Thanks

What speakers do you have at the moment?

Chord cables are the best (or safest) bet: Chord Crimson Plus http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-company-crimsonplus and SilverScreen speaker cables. Look on auction sites they can be purchased for less.

I use these with my set-up and they sound great.

T

the record spot

field said:
Hi

Thanks

Cables: needn't go mad. Computergear do some nice ones for £7 or £8 which I've used. QED Qunex 2 or 3 will be fine for about £30 if you think you need to see a brand name. Atlas were doing some heavily discounted cables recently so some of those may be left with some dealers. In short, I'm highly sceptical of the capabilities of a cable beyond its intended purpose of being a conduit for the signal to go from source to amp.

Speakers-wise: Dali, Tannoy, Q Acoustics and Monitor Audio do some nice models for your budget if you're buying new. Mission's 751 standmount or 752 floorstander will outperform any of those if you're prepared to go secondhand. Expect to pay around £100-150 for near/mint models if you find some. And yes, they are that good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Can you manage £400?...

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?item=86487cfaa24afeb9569579c14fad67af1eab41b421d573f3a43a642c63fd21cd1b4c244a3d03012c77db1334281cf26f&rlog=nxtprv

airconace

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is difficult one, and I'm not surprised you want help with it.

Some questions though

How much radio vs CD will you be listening to, in hours? I'm looking for which one is more important to you.

Can you get a good DAB radio signal in this room? You could use FM and upgrade to DAB later. I do not think that FM will be cut off anytime soon.

£300 is a big ask to get good classical playback.

Of Chebby's recommendations I would go for the £400 option as front ported speakers will give less bass boom in a smallish room with less than normal soft furnishings. This could be important if you like organ music. I would buy good (used) speaker stands before upgrading cables.

Secondhand the Arcam Alpha 7 will be powerful enough, I have used Acoustic Energy speakers for a number of years with that amplifier, CD player is more tricky, no doubt somebody here will have an idea. I would go for floorstanding speakers as speakers and stands will be more or less the same price.

I hope this will help you and others here to come up with a system you will enjoy.

Patience is rewarded with lower prices & gives yourself time to make the right decision.

There is no substitute for listening before you buy - even secondhand equipment - listen to your CD's not someone else's choice so you are familiar with the music.

Cheers,

Harry.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for all your help.

I have been looking at a second hand arcam amp 8 alpha and wondered what speakers would go well with it. My budget is max £150.00 looking at second hand and really need bookshelf because room is small or could use stand mounts. Listening to classical music. Also need a cheap tuner. Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for all your help.

I have been looking at a second hand arcam amp 8 alpha and wondered what speakers would go well with it. My budget is max £150.00 looking at second hand and really need bookshelf because room is small or could use stand mounts. Listening to classical music. Also need a cheap tuner. Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

matthewpiano

Cheap tuner = Denon TU260L every time.

Affordable bookshelf speakers that are good for classical music = Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (and they have few competitors for classical music at that price point).

The Mission 751s recommended by RS are well worth a punt if you can find a nice example. Excellent speakers with particularly superb portrayal of acoustic space.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Could anyone recommend some inexpensive speaker cable I am looking for either the wharfedale 9.1 or the misson 751 speakers and also the best DAB tune deal I can get.

thanks

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I use the the 6mm version of these cables:
http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/V504000.html
They work well and am happy. I've tried Chord cables as well as a comparision.

What have you got so far for the system? Are you using a cd player as the source?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
field said:
Hi

Could anyone recommend some inexpensive speaker cable I am looking for either the wharfedale 9.1 or the misson 751 speakers and also the best DAB tune deal I can get.

thanks

OFC 322 strand...about 5GBP for 10mt on a famous auction site...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts