Hifi racks - finding a good hifi rack that looks good and performs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have an AV rack and looking to move all hifi away from under TV, so can stand full height. I will have about 8 items to shelf and am looking at a pair of stands and would like something special looking. I know its impossible to audition, so just looking for any ideas and recomendations. Budget would be something around £1k mark for both after discounts.

thanks for help.

A

Anonymous

woollyjoe:

Hi,

I have an AV rack and looking to move all hifi away from under TV, so can stand full height. I will have about 8 items to shelf and am looking at a pair of stands and would like something special looking. I know its impossible to audition, so just looking for any ideas and recomendations. Budget would be something around £1k mark for both after discounts.

thanks for help.

I have just recieved and setup a BDI Deploy for my AV , this is a substantially built unit very good quality, it stands 1200 wide X 820 high it weighs 8st on its own.

Had to special order as most suppliers only stock the600 wide model

A

Anonymous

woollyjoe:
Hi,

thanks for help.
What do you mean by perform?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
woollyjoe:Hi,

Excellent suggestion throughout this thread from the ever resourceful PJPro...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/84771.aspx

A

Anonymous

Thanks - like the hifiracks and the black painted option is better for me. The idea is to avoid AV racks that are wide and have a pair of narrower racks. My Av rack is good, just an *** to sort cables out and ventillations as well as cosmetics - i would like to see my kit.

The home made job looks good, but home made.

Perform - I don't want something that looks great but is flimsy and affects sound quality.

I'm just trying to gauge what kind of options are out there.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just got myself an Obsidian OBS9000 - having just built it, it's very sturdy, solidly constructed, and a hefty beast which would probably take a few elephants jumping to get any vibration running through it! Also has adjustable shelves meaning you can get an AV receiver / chunky stereo amp easily on the bottom shelf with plenty of room for ventilation (vital since I run an Onkyo), plus fit your other kit round it.

Very pleased with it
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:woollyjoe:
Hi,

thanks for help.

What do you mean by perform?

lol!

For what it's worth, I was astonished at the difference a rack made to my old Arcams. I couldn't see how it could possibly sound better, but I heard things on a CD that I'd never been aware of before. Funnily enough I'm listening to that exact same CD now for the first time in ages.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for helping explain performance - I have some pretty good kit I've spent all my mooney on, so don't want it sitting on a rubbish bit of mdf type furniture.

The best i have seen is the Audiophile Starbase which is way expensive but they do have many customizable options and could have my hifi equipment on the more expensive and the AV stuff on the lower range that also looks the same. Although trying to work out prices is a little confusing.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Just got myself an Obsidian OBS9000 - having just built it, it's very sturdy, solidly constructed, and a hefty beast which would probably take a few elephants jumping to get any vibration running through it! Also has adjustable shelves meaning you can get an AV receiver / chunky stereo amp easily on the bottom shelf with plenty of room for ventilation (vital since I run an Onkyo), plus fit your other kit round it.

Very pleased with it
emotion-2.gif

African or Indian? (with apologies to Graham Chapman)

michael hoy

woollyjoe:
Hi,

thanks for help.

Have a look at this company or This www.customdesign.co.uk (for some reason will not link)

A

Anonymous

Custom design is looking best right now. Am thinking I can get away with 5 shelves in stead of 2 units also. Is this advisable?

michael hoy

woollyjoe:Custom design is looking best right now. Am thinking I can get away with 5 shelves in stead of 2 units also. Is this advisable?

Hi woollyjoe,

I have been contemplating a 5 shelf one myself for my AV equipment, current cabinet full at the moment.

The Milan range looks very good.

A

Anonymous

I found the Partington Minim to be best looking, price, performance.

Anyone know why these were discontinued? Wouldn't mind buying a pair.

A

Anonymous

Just found out today that Partington may retire???? Has anyone got any details. Surely this cannot be?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:woollyjoe:Hi,

Thanks Chebby :)

A

Anonymous

PJPro:chebby:woollyjoe:Hi,

Thanks Chebby :)

I personally think what PJPro has done is lazy... I am going to the forest to chop some trees and carve out a unit from a massive Oak tree - I've heard there are some nice trees at Kew Gardens? Then I'm going to get some olives from my home country of Italy to oil the thing when its done.

A

Anonymous

i have found these guys....

isoblue hifi

only make one kind of rack and it looks quite good. anyone heard of them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts