HiFi plans for 2018

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi all

Has anyone got plans to purchase any HiFi gear this year?

Don't think I will be, depends on work situation. Although a friend is bringing over a Lindemann music player for me to hear tomorrow!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Not too sure but it would seem going by reports all over the web, LOADS of folks will be stepping back in TIME, to once AGAIN plaY OLD RECORDS, NOW BEING CALLED Vinyl. .... hehe.

I myself as any normal person would ..... would now ASK WHAT HI-FI folks to once again produce the pages that suggested as to WHY Folks SHOULD be buying CD's ?

rather than the old LP's and 45's ?

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Could be an exciting hifi year for Hawkwind16,

I have serious upgrade-itis ! ....and want to try more hi res streaming !

Last week I unboxed and set up a 2nd bedroom system with a new Roksan Oxygene amp (VERY GOOD AptX bluetooth streaming ability) with a trusty vintage Marantz cd 52ii cd player and old Morduant Short bookshelf speakers.

Today i've been playing with my downstairs system, and achieved some major improvements. Tried Spotify premium and a free download sampler from HD Tracks.

1. Streaming via usb a-b cable to Marantz sa8005 dac is VERY GOOD

2. Read my Marantz cd player handbook (Top tip - read the handbook!). Switched off digital output and dimmed display.

Plus I found My CD was only reading from the laptop at something like 52k ! so changed this to 192K. MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.

Computer hi fi is too complicated.

3. Connected an expensive new Ecosse Nu Diva interconnect to replace my old cheap Audioquest topaz interconnect

Result - More of everything, VERY GOOD (Although still not quite meaty enough in the midrange for my tastes - I still prefer my vintage Marantz cd for most music !)

NEXT STEPS

Try a new DAC ? - I'm looking at Chord 2Qute or may wait for the new Chord Qutest. I think this would turbocharge hi res downloads. But then again.. maybe stick with the Marantz DAC for now

New speaker cable - to improve detail and warmth

Tidal streaming

Possible new bookshelf speaker for system 2

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
How you getting on with the Roksan Oxygene combo ? and how do you think it compares with other er, more conventional stuff ?

I have the Oxygene amp just running in at the moment - very sexy bit of kit, great bluetooth ability, and very good sound. Yet to try it in my main system though.

My only play this year would be a nap 250.2 for the SU...but ain't sure if it'd be worth upping the amp section for the little pmc's.....they must be close to their full potential already......and I don't really want to change the speakers and fu#k it all up.lol.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I plan not to change any of my systems this year; I am very happy with what I have. However, should anything fail I may have to replace it, and if any game changer appears I would consider it. When the BBC starts transmitting regularly in 4K I shall update my video equipment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
How you getting on with the Roksan Oxygene combo ? and how do you think it compares with other er, more conventional stuff ?

I have the Oxygene amp just running in at the moment - very sexy bit of kit, great bluetooth ability, and very good sound. Yet to try it in my main system though.

Personally I think the Oxygene is a masterpiece of a design.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Macspur said:
Hi all

Don't think I will be, depends on work situation. Although a friend is bringing over a Lindemann music player for me to hear tomorrow!

Mac

Sadly my main hifi may be going back in its boxes and in to storage for a couple of years. Our third child is due in April and space has become a real issue... *cray2*

Congratulations !

I don't know if it will be of any help to you but I am willing to foster your PMC's and give them a good home until such time you can use them again, all FOC *angel* .

Rest assured they will be well looked after and regularly fed with good music. *biggrin*

Cheeky monkey. Ellisdj has also offered to look after my electronics. You guys are so kind! *smile*

BTW those MB2i’s are still on the bay, now at £8249 or best offer. They’ve been rattling around on there for a couple of months now. I reckon you’d get those for £7.5K you know, which would be a £12K saving... Not trying to spend your money, but that is a once in a blue moon opportunity and the step up from PB1i to MB2i is massive. I’m prone to hyperbole but not in this instance. Massive, and you actually have the room for them... That’s £5K net once you’ve sold your current speakers. Just sayin’... *blum3*

Yes I know it's torture *dash1* .

Unfortunately My Accountant and the Inland Revenue have other ideas about who should benefit from my hard earned.

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Interesting debate. Space is now at a premium for me so the Rok Ones have had to go and replaced last week with a pair of dinky Dalis. Been so long since I have had the Rok Ones plugged in that I can't even tell if the Dalis even compare to them - but the Dalis sound OK.

I have not really taken much interest in my hi-fi (all bought around 20 years ago) over the past few years - been busy with other things and got used to the fact that it is in the lounge and 4 others (family) live in the house and not one is interested in either hi-fi or my taste in music so the system has rarely been on.

Bought some Oppo headphones and an Arcam headphone amp last year and listened on them for months whilst longing to rig up my speakers - but without the space for them!

Anyhow, bitten the bullet now.

Have been thinking about some space saving separates - maybe buying individual units as and when funds permit - Cyrus comes to mind.

BUT, I am nervous that I will sell my Audio Analogue Puccini amp and regret it - so many people saying its a lovely amp and I would have to spend £1000+ to get something of the same quality. Likewise with my CD player - Rotel RCD991.

So, 2018 could be interesting. Do I or don't I take the plunge?!

I admit that having replaced the Rok Ones I have the bug to start changing the amp and CD player - if no other reason than the fact that I have had them so long and could simply "do with a change"!!!

N

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Hawkwind16 said:

Personally I think the Oxygene is a masterpiece of a design.

It is, sounds great too

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Macspur said:
Hi all

Mac

Sadly my main hifi may be going back in its boxes and in to storage for a couple of years. Our third child is due in April and space has become a real issue... *cray2*

Congratulations !

I don't know if it will be of any help to you but I am willing to foster your PMC's and give them a good home until such time you can use them again, all FOC *angel* .

Rest assured they will be well looked after and regularly fed with good music. *biggrin*

Cheeky monkey. Ellisdj has also offered to look after my electronics. You guys are so kind! *smile*

BTW those MB2i’s are still on the bay, now at £8249 or best offer. They’ve been rattling around on there for a couple of months now. I reckon you’d get those for £7.5K you know, which would be a £12K saving... Not trying to spend your money, but that is a once in a blue moon opportunity and the step up from PB1i to MB2i is massive. I’m prone to hyperbole but not in this instance. Massive, and you actually have the room for them... That’s £5K net once you’ve sold your current speakers. Just sayin’... *blum3*

Yes I know it's torture *dash1* .

Unfortunately My Accountant and the Inland Revenue have other ideas about who should benefit from my hard earned.

Oooooh! Now there’s a pair of mint, walnut IB2i’s on the bay for £5450 or best offer... *preved*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts