HiFi gradually becoming quieter?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've had my current set-up for about 18 months now. Recently I've noticed my "normal" listening volume to be at 9 o'clock on the dial. However it used to be at 8 o'clock. I'm not sure whether my the Sony amp that I ownded before the NAD became quieter after a certain period-has anyone else encountered this? I can only really think that its either oxidation of speaker cable or my ears getting worse! Hopefully it isn't the latter!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you find yourself listening at different times of day to 18 months ago?

I found daytime listening has to be louder than evenings (due to more ambient noise in the daytime).

Are you comparing volume settings on the two different amps?

Do you find the current system more enjoyable/better quality? (This may cause you to listen at a higher level over time.)

If those speaker cable ends are oxidised, then get banana plugs soldered on.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
For me I have exactly the opposite experience. I found the music level is louder after 3 months of listening to my Spendor SA1. I need to turn down the volume a little bit now to maintain the same sound level when the speaker was new. May be it is due to the speaker diaphram has settled in and no more stain in it.

It would have to be chronic oxidation to cause that effect in 18 months! So, unless you are listening in your steam room, it is most likely psychological. To get the same 'impact' you percieved 18 months ago, you are simply turning it up a bit more.

Highly unlikely to be compenents bedding-in, IMO. Now, where are those ear-drops! ;)

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
When I bought speakers which were more dynamic I had to turn the volume down to cope with the impact. I slowly returned the volume to a similar previous volume as I became used to the extra during the more intense moments. Altering the volume could be down to a long list of reasons.

A

Anonymous

my listening time is the same. maybe it is psychological-i've become used to the sound as you say nopiano. does that mean I have to upgrade?! Or am I just finding excuses?

my surround sound has stayed at the same volume for a couple of years-I suppose its all subjective though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts