hifi expert needed to advise me on speaker choice

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I currently own a cyrus pre xpd and 8 power and cheapish focal 706.I auditioned the cyrus kit at the end of B&W 805s(which sounded superb).Now I want to complement the cyrus gear and buy decent speakers(standmount)..However that s where it gets tricky. I live in brisbane australia so my choice is unfortunately limited.Most importers are located in sydney(12hrs drive..) so against my will I will probably have to break the golden rule of hifi and blind buy.However I have got a few options up my sleeves and for the rest that s why i am counting enourmously on your experience and advise.

firtsly Spendor(also sells neat range but would have to fly them in from sydney as he does not keep them in the shop) dealer is inly 2 hours away so I can auditioned the sa1 and do a comparaison with the neat petite sx.

secondly: I can audition the focal electra 1007

thirdly: buy a used pair of b&w 805s(very rare and not my preference to buy second hand..)

As for other brands that tickle my fancy such as pmc, harbeth,atc smc range(please feel free to advise me on different brands...)i would love to hear your experienced views and how would they perform with cyrus gear..Anybody ever made a comparaison of all those speakers by any chance..

thanks in advance...(some might tell me to check the cyrus forum but i don t like it too much, much prefer thi one...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Could almost be worth it to spend a few hundred on a weekend away in Sydney.

It all depends on how you like to hear your music. I'd be leaning towards the 805s but that's only because I almost bought some myself. No idea how they'd go with Cyrus kit.

Another thing I often repeat is, I think you can often get better value for money by buying local. You never know, you might like what Legend Acoustics or Krix can do for you, but TBH I have no idea what their current lineups sound like.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi Stpierre,

I have similar electronics (see signature). I live in Albury-Wodonga so go both to Melbourne and Sydney.

Re: Speakers with Cyrus. I think it depends on what type of music you listen to, the environment, future electronics plans etc. I recently auditioned lots of speakers before settling on the Audiovectors (see sig) - did get a bargain or wouldnt have them.

Spendor are very, very popular with Cyrus but the A6s left me flat (admittedly auditioned with high end Naim electronics). Were very accurate in mid range, fantastic soundstage and I think would be good for orchestral / chamber music. Missed the bass. Could well be very different with Cyrus electronics so I suggest have a listen, especially as you are in the same state as the importers!

Dynaudio speakers in Oz are very well priced for what you can get. I suggest definitely audition. Lots of different price points. Available in Brisbane.

PMCs FB1i fantastic! Nearly left with them. Don't know if available in Brisbane.

Other speakers commonly used with similar level Cyrus electronics include ATCs but are not particularly sensitive so don't know if an 8Power would have enough grunt.

Just my 2 cents.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The new Cyrus website is promoting Vienna Acoustics speakers.

Maybe the Haydn Grand is what you're looking for .....

There's a distributor down under, but it looks like you've got a 19 hour drive if you want a demo because they're in Melbourne

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We stock a lot of loudspeakers, and we find most people choose ProAc, KEF, or Spendor - in the past Dynaudio has figured in this, but since Cyrus has moved away from leaner sounding electronics, we're finding Dynaudio being chosen less. I wouldn't say the 805's will be the best match going on previous experience.

As already mentioned, it does depend on how you like you hear music, as we all hear differently.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
This is a tough one. You didn't like the spendors because of the lack of bass (which I understand), but you very much liked the 805s which are also pretty rolled off in the low end. I've bought lots of speakers blind (deaf?), and it's definately a c rap shoot. Be prepared to sell them after a couple of painful months. But, it can work out nicely. I think you are more likely to be happy with PMC or Dynaudio simply because I think they both have a more easy going appeal that people can live with. I'm a big dynaudio fan myself. Can't find anything that makes me happier and I've tried.

The safest thing to do is buy 805s since your already know you like them. That's what I would do in your shoes. Good luck.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I heard the B&W 805 with an all Cyrus system (CD8SE, 8XPd and X Power) and while the speed, detail and transparency were very good, it left me feeling a little cold. I think the Cyrus needs a slightly warmer sounding speaker.

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all and thanks for all the replies and advice.I know many similar threads have been posted and the outcome is always a matter of personal taste.as for me i like many genres of music, just depends on my mood.Genre include, dub/reggea,classical(not opera),female/male vocals(mazzy star-brett anderson), accoustics,a bit of dance very occasionally,folk(munfords...), world(buddha bar, cafe del ma....)as you can see a bit of eberything.Volume you ask, well with 2 kids(2 y and 10 months) loud is not really on the agenda..Someone suggested that i get the sa1 and purchase a really musical sub to complement the tiny sa1.To be honest m not after subsonic low end but just nice,precise and lean(if it makes sense..)

thanks to everybody that answered, especially frank harvey as I know you are busy judging bythe amount of threads you reply to..

by the way no one really told me anything about focal electra 1007.I can audition them but if it s not recommended i won t waste my time..

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what your budget is, but considering your location, have you looked at these?

clicky

If the delivery charges to the UK weren't so steep, I would be sorely tempted to give them a listen myself!

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
ESP2009:

Not sure what your budget is, but considering your location, have you looked at these?

clicky

If the delivery charges to the UK weren't so steep, I would be sorely tempted to give them a listen myself!

Actually I never heard of them..How did you come about them?read any reviews or know someone that got some/???i will definately look into it.thanks for the link..

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
stpierre76:ESP2009:

clicky

Actually I never heard of them..How did you come about them?read any reviews or know someone that got some/???i will definately look into it.thanks for the link..

Someone on another forum suggested them to me (along with some horrendous monsters - clicky - even more lacking in the practicality department). I read various online reviews about the Lenehans and the consensus seems very good. Do a search and I'm sure you will find a few. I really liked what I saw, but the shipping was just too daunting for such a purchase. If you do get to listen, I'm sure we will welcome your views.

TRENDING THREADS