Hifi cleaner

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I was going to say yer mum.:)

HOWEVER, she'd probably do all of the following, which you SHOULD NOT do:

Use spray polish - the polish can get drawn into ventilation holes giving rise the a nice buildup on your circuit boards over time.

Use vinegar or anything else acidic or caustic - except, perhaps, on the GLASS of plasma TVs - it could damage the finishes.

Use wet cloths -electricity and water are best kept apart.

I would use the wet wipes you can buy for you PC monitor for sticky finger prints, a good CLEAN duster for, erm, dusting, and that's about it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I use Electrolube ASA anti static spray cleaner and it works very well on all types of equipment and helps stop electronic equipment attracting dust . :)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/esd-safe-clean-room-treatments-lotions-dispensers/1558184/

For years I would use an old cotton handkerchief or T shirt that was well-laundered and a bit frayed. Avoid the fluffy yellow dusters!

The nearest you can now buy is a microfibre cloth. You can get tiny ones for cleaning specs or larger ones for polishing cars. Mostly best used dry, or with a 'huff' of breath to make the surface fractionally damp.

Avoid furniture sprays, paricularly because silicon and hifi are not good company.

Glass surfaces, like stands can be be cleaned similarly or with a damp chamois. "Glass" in hifi is probably plastic, so stick to the microfibre. Glasses (specs) are all plastic these days, remember! If you have spills on the kit, then start with water with a few drops Fairy liquid in it, obviously well wrung out just using the corner of your cloth.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Baldrick1 said:
Interesting article on just this topic in one of the OTHER HiFi magazines this month. Well worth a read. :shhh:
There are no house rules stopping you from mentioning the name of the other magazine any more.

It would save the OP a lot of time if you said which one.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Baldrick1 said:
Interesting article on just this topic in one of the OTHER HiFi magazines this month. Well worth a read. :shhh:
There are no house rules stopping you from mentioning the name of the other magazine any more.

It would save the OP a lot of time if you said which one.

Hi Chebby

OK, thanks for clarifying...was not sure as to house rules. On some forums that is Verboten...;)

It is the March issue of HiFi Choice.

Baldrick1 said:
It is the March issue of HiFi Choice.

I had read that, but it focuses on mainly 'electrical' cleaning and connections, whereas I thought the OP was asking about cleaning the 'boxes'. It is an interesting article but I certainly would never clean a TT drive belt with Pledge, which the author suggests!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
how about reading the manufacturers guidelines in the manual!

Just a soft microfbre is all thats needed in most cases, even Panasonic say use one on there plasma tvs

Microfibre is better than a normal cloth as well!

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I seem to remember that at the naim factory In Salisbury they used " Astonish " spray on their units ........................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts