Hidden away hifi - an appeal.

idc

So recently I have read posts where forum members have admitted to keeping some pretty expensive and some would say rather good hifi in cupboards and lofts; a Bose Sounddock, a Fubar DAC and Supplier and some tasty speakers that were kept in a loft. Have you got anything gathering dust?

This is an appeal to free up all that unwanted and unloved hifi and sell it or give it to those less fortunate than yourselves.
emotion-21.gif

Thankyou.
emotion-29.gif

idc

Hi Andrew. The thread is to make comment on what hifi people don't use but have kept in cupboards. I have to confess to keeping my original headphone amp in the loft for about a year until it was resurrected when I found about the GQ-24 cable and how it could then be used with my ipod.

I gave (well traded for a fine bottle of malt) my old setup away and I did give another friend my big bag of cables, which I kind of regret as there were a couple I could have done with now.

The aim is not sneaky trading. It is to encourage people not to waste good hifi that others could benefit from.

John Duncan

I have in the Hifi Drawer©:

1 Arcam Alpha 2
1 Yamaha DSP-AX620
1 Denon TU-260-LII
1 Pair KEF Coda 7s
1 Pair Wharefdale Diamond 9.1s
4 km sundry cable

I tried selling the Yamaha, didn't reach its 100 quid reserve - would probably make 50-70 quid, in which case I'd rather keep it for AV-related experimentation at some future time.
I tried selling the Alpha, reached 40 quid, thought I'd rather keep it for nostalgia purposes.
I can't sell the Denon cos my wife gave it to me, so I have to keep it forever.
The speakers might come in handy for one-off AV experimentation (see above).
The cable, you're welcome to. Where should I send it?

T

the record spot

Just sold my Arcam Alpha 5

Technics SU-V6 amp
NAD-3020A (that's going nowhere except for a servicing once Mrs. R_S either agrees or goes!)
Marantz PM6010-KI amp (swapped with the NAD)
Sansui TU-317 tuner from 1978 - near mint nick
BT 3 point Mains Conditioner Unit - needs new mains lead fixing
Mission 733i floorstanding speakers
Rega P3 / AT 440MLa

Most of this kit will be going at some point, probably pretty soon.

idc

Excellent news The Record Spot, release that hifi.

JD, what experimenting do you have in mind? Don't you have a whole office full of kit to test at your hearts content? Once all of the executive, chief, assistant, assistant to the chief, assistant to the assistant, deputy, associate, sub and guest editors all go home? Or is there a nightwatch editor who gets to keep the big key? If so make friends and get them drunk.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Nuthin'n. No wasted kit here at all. Oh, except for a couple of interconnects that'll be sold. And soon everything else will be sold; and none of that will be hanging around any longer than necassary.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My Sounddock and iPod are awaiting my time ie the missus has asked me to create a playlist for the little lad and then we will use the equipment in his room. It may take a while...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
idc:Lucky little fella, a Bose Sounddock as his first music system! Mine has a Creative Zen, which both of us find a fiddle to use.

He'll be two next week, and I suspect his first few words will be 'that sounds ***** compared to your Arcams Daddy. Get me a proper hifi you cheapskate'

A

Anonymous

I have a ReVox B790 direct drive turntable in the cupboard.

I gave my dad some Monitor Audio Silver4i speakers a couple of weeks ago with my old Rotel RA03 amp. I think that counts as sufficient 'release into the wild' for now...

idc

JoelSim:

idc:Lucky little fella, a Bose Sounddock as his first music system! Mine has a Creative Zen, which both of us find a fiddle to use.

He'll be two next week, and I suspect his first few words will be 'that sounds ***** compared to your Arcams Daddy. Get me a proper hifi you cheapskate'

LOL. Actually he will say 'Daddy that sounds brilliant to my little ears, especially the 128kbps MP3 files'. Then he'll say 'does that new cable mean Disneyland is closed again this year'.

A

Anonymous

I have some acoustic energy neo 3's hidden away somewhere, mind you , they are not so hidden, they are floorstanders ;)

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
i just sold my wholesetup. marantz amp, cd, 2 ca leads. a SO rack. marantz tuner. and whardale diamonds 8.3s for 115 quid to a fellow angler.

he had sold marantz seperates a few years ago. also for pittance. to go down the bose sounddock route. and regretted it ever since. i told him. do yourself a favour flog on the speakers and upgrade. to sweeter standmounts but his mileage may vary.Lol

I was left with, and now wrapped up in the loft. a project debut record deck. an arcam alpha 7se cdp. and a rotel amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts