Hi Res Music lamens question

efiste2

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Looking to step up to a High Res music player but a little confused about the format so please forgive me for being so nieve....to listen to high res music is it simply extracted from a normal CD at a higher rate, or do I need to purchase or download "hi-res" versions of my favourite music. Again please excuse my nievity.

I listen to music at the moment on an iPod Classic via a Fiio E12A and either Senheisser Momentum 2's or Bose QC wired, and want to replace the iPod with the hi-res music player, any recomendations that fall within my budget of £250

Gray

Hi efiste2,

CD resolution is 16 Bits, 44.1kHz. Hi-Res is the name given to any audio with a higher resolution than that.

It's typically 24 Bit, 96kHz - 192kHz. DSD (Direct Stream Digital) is another form of high resolution. Hi-res cannot be extracted from a CD. (That's not to say that some unscrupulous outlets are not passing off upsampled CDs as genuine hi-res. Beware)

You would indeed need to download hi-res files for the player, free samples are quite easy to find. Any player would also be able to store and play your CDs - it's a good idea to convert them to FLAC files, which reduces the storage space required without compromising sound quality. You will see that 24/96(192) files are also available as FLAC.

As you know the brand, here's one of theirs to consider:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OHIO7N2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3OX2K9JAC8M3M

A bit basic maybe, but it's sound is well regarded and it would enable you to try hi-res. Note that it can't handle (the less common) DSD files.

I'm fairly sure other posters will be able to add another couple of hundred quid to a recommendation if you really want to spend more.

Don't expect too much though, once you've reached CD quality, the original recording / mastering quality always has more influence than any higher resolution playback.

Most people, as you may have seen, report any hi-res benefit to be marginal at best and say that the only difference between 96 and 192kHz sampling rates is the file's price!

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Most people, as you may have seen, report any hi-res benefit to be marginal at best and say that the only difference between 96 and 192kHz sampling rates is the file's price!

Good advice. I recently bought a Hi Res album and it was awful - entirely due to bad recording in the first place. CD quality is just fine and as said a lot less harmful on the wallet. By the way I am 58 anyway so its highly unlikely I'd hear the difference anyway

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts