Hi Fi Separates System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all!

Was hoping I could get some help on my very first separates system from genuine enthusiasts like you! I've been doing some research for a while now, and am looking to spend in the region of approx £800. I've got my eyes on the B&W 686 speakers.

I'm still a bit hesitant as to what combination of amp and CD will go well with this? Speaking to salesman at Sevenoaks sound and vision, he was pushing me towards the Marantz PM6002 Amp and CD6002. The speakers have a pretty low sensitivity (84dB) and I was questioning if the 45 watts output power from the marantz amp would be capable of sufficiently driving these?

Another good contender I found for the speakers is Rotel, which is a bit costly...

The salesman seemed a bit fixated on Arcam,Rotel and Marantz, and didn't seem to keen on brands such as NAD,Denon etc.

If anybody could recommend a better combination of Amp & CD, or give me any guidance on the exisiting setup in question (Marantz/Rotel), your help would be appreciated very much so.

Thanks for your time.

P

matthewpiano

You need to audition some equipment to find out what you like yourself. One man's hi-fi nirvana is the next man's hi-fi hell. For example, I like a very natural, life-like sound which is why the Arcam/Tannoy combination works so well for me. Personally, I don't like Marantz stuff but there are plenty of people who dislike Arcam and love Marantz.

Let us know what music you listen to, what your priorities are (tonal accuracy, imaging, dynamics, bass etc.), and we should be able to help you draw up a shortlist of alternative possibilities for audition.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, Rotel would sound fine with the 686's, but you can do better. Let us know about the size of your room and the type of music you listen to, and what kind of sound you are after. Take your time and enjoy the selection process.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, It doesn't necessarily have to be the B&W's, but off all the B&W's I have heard I am very impressed. All reviews on the 686 are pointing in the right direction also.I've heard the 685,which cost £100 more than the 686 and there bloody good.

Having said that, the KEF iQ1 have had some pretty good reviews also.i'll look into the speakers you mentioned however, thanks for your help mate.

A

Anonymous

The size of my room is pretty small . im sure for the near £300 price tag i can get something more powerful than the B&W's, but i'm sure the quality will be comprimised.

The music i listen to ranges from one end of the spectrum to the other to be honest, (sorry i know this isn't helping but it's true!), so im after a good all rounder .

I listen to Dub/Reggae,Drum&Bass, exploiting the LF abilities of a speaker, through to a little Pop/Dance, for tonal accuracy, and on to Trance/Techno at the other end of the scale, showing off HF abilities.

Hope that helps!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Try some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. They are absolutely stunning with plenty of bottom end. Match them with a detailed and powerful amplifier such as Rotel it will sing. A Marantz cdplayer will be fine for the source.

A

Anonymous

Hi there guys.

Any more suggestions on the Amp/Cd combo,to go with the B&W 686's? I've been looking at the 685's, which cost £100 more, but may be worthwhile given the spectrum of music I listen to. From heavy bass line all the way through to hard house, trance/techno?

Thanks for your help!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="lall360"]
Hi there guys.

Any more suggestions on the Amp/Cd combo,to go with the B&W 686's? I've been looking at the 685's, which cost £100 more, but may be worthwhile given the spectrum of music I listen to. From heavy bass line all the way through to hard house, trance/techno?

Thanks for your help!

[/quote]

Yes, the 685's will be more than sufficient.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts