Hi-Fi Moment again...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry guys, having a little trouble with the A32 again! This time, can I admit, I'm not a 100% fan of my amp. Saving the usual Arcam jokes, it really is lacking drive and above all else, IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH! I just had Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb (on the Wall CD) at -10db!!! and it still wasn't loud enough (I'm not deaf and I don't like boyracer volumes either)!!! It just has no pump to it and my old JVC would deliver the same volume around 9 o'clock and this would be at 2 o'clock!!! Please help, because if I can't solve the problem (all wiring correct, no settings changed) I'll give it back and ask for a refund and just use my '79 JVC. The ironic thing is, it's not that much more detailed and it doesn't have a better soundstage either!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]What's the sensitivity of your speakers?[/quote]

89db, 6ohms, 30~200watts continuous power

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]You dont half change your mind... Could be the hormones I guess ;)

[/quote]

: )

Right I did it! I put Radiohead Paranoid Anadroid on at -10db (that's 64 out of 72) AND IT WAS LIKE A DIFFERENT WORLD! THERE WAS THUMP, BIG TRANSIENTS AND STILL A TIGHT BASS - NO DISTORTION (treble went a little edgy though so I just trimmed it down a tad and wow! I just hope it can do it all the time! The difference between -20db and -10db is huge! The soundstage had more depth too! Must be the Class B mode kicking in for the first time! Detail remained the same too! Wow, cheers for the advice! I promise I won't hold you responsible when the voice coils turn to molten lava and the transisters go by-by! Arcam promise, don't worry!

A

Anonymous

Pink Floyd's The Wall is mastered at a really low volume - whenever I play it I have to turn up my amp a lot higher than when using other cd's too....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Invicta"]Pink Floyd's The Wall is mastered at a really low volume - whenever I play it I have to turn up my amp a lot higher than when using other cd's too....[/quote]

Today's music is mastered very loud to gain attention at the sacrifice of dynamics...but the Wall doesn't have many of them either because it's recorded too quiet!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Saving the usual Arcam jokes, it really is lacking drive and above all else[/quote]

The usual Arcam jokes?? Do you mean boring and lack of drive? I would never say that mate
emotion-4.gif

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I did read something about The Wall's mastering in Nick Mason's book. They had so much material to squeeze on they had to compress it quite a lot so that had something to do with how it sounds. It should have been a triple album really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts