Hi-fi hibernation - how to survive?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
It's a long boring story, but in short my much loved and listened to system is going Into storage this weekend for upto three months whilst a long awaited building project finally gets underway. No vinyl, no streaming. I will be reduced to using my Mac and a pair of headphones for the foreseeable future.

To console myself I'm going to buy a pair of computer-friendly speakers. Budget £200 max. Any suggestions?

Plus, is it feasible and/or worthwhile hooking my NAD DAC up to the Mac using the USB link?

I usuallly listen to my hi-fi three to four hours a night, so it's going to be a big deal for me not being able to do so. The (hopefully) temporary computer listening needs to be half decent. Help?

(Anyome suggesting wholesome replacement activities, such as spending more time with my wife or other family members will be courtesily ignored).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
It's a long boring story, but in short my much loved and listened to system is going Into storage this weekend for upto three months whilst a long awaited building project finally gets underway. No vinyl, no streaming. I will be reduced to using my Mac and a pair of headphones for the foreseeable future.

To console myself I'm going to buy a pair of computer-friendly speakers. Budget £200 max. Any suggestions?

Plus, is it feasible and/or worthwhile hooking my NAD DAC up to the Mac using the USB link?

I usuallly listen to my hi-fi three to four hours a night, so it's going to be a big deal for me not being able to do so. The (hopefully) temporary computer listening needs to be half decent. Help?

(Anyome suggesting wholesome replacement activities, such as spending more time with my wife or other family members will be courtesily ignored).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avid-M-Audio-BX5-D2-Monitors/dp/B005OOSZR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363907066&sr=1-1

Check these out:

Monitor Audio WS100

ws100-8.jpg

Bose Computer MusicMonitor

000000000000043331_pp.jpg

I know people have a generally negative perception about Bose. Even I was unimpressed with their home cinema speakers. But these computer speakers are superb.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Bigboss, I'll look into those options too.

I need a quick turnaround as the builders, as ever a law unto themselves, haven't given us much notice of their impending arrival.

Two more nights worth of proper hifi, then it'll all be boxed up bar the NAD DAC.

Headphones and or monitor speakers hooked up to the Mac. I'm prepared to be very underwhelmed.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd probably stick to using a damn good pair of headphones in preference to any of those.

No need to be underwhelmed. The h/p output from a Mac is far btter than in most Windows laptops and tower-units.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Unless I'm on a train or plane, I really prefer not to listen through headphones.

I will have my B&W P5s on hand but I'll definitely try out some monitor speakers too.

The day of the hi-fi dismantle is nigh. I'm not happy about it but it's got to be done. The builder even claimed it would be done, ready and liveable in eight weeks(!). Yeah, right. September time more likely.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

There's always the builders radio.

From experience, these come in two varieties, one that has far too much bass, and the other that has no bass at all.

See! there's always an option.
grin.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There's always the builders radio.

From experience, these come in two varieties, one that has far too much bass, and the other that has no bass at all.

See! there's always an option.
grin.gif

Yes, thanks for that cheerful thought.

My family think it's most amusing that I'll be deprived of my nearly nightly four hours of hifi listening. I've got beers and a stack of vinyl lined up for tonight's last hurrah. It will all end in tears/beers etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts