Hi-fi destruction!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
My A&R A60 blew a fuse just a few days before warranty ran out. It came with replacement fuses so I popped another in and it immediately blew. Returned Amp to A&R apparently one of the output transistors was faulty. Repaired under guarantee and the amp has been working ever since, and still gets used a couple of times a month as part of my second system in my study/computer room.

That was 30 odd years ago, I've since renewed the volume pot as the old one was horribly crackly, and all is well again. Even the old capacitors look fine and non leaky unlike the caps in my T21 which are looking distorted but I don't use it that much so will probably not bother re-capping it, esp if FM gets turned off |(

My A&R A60 is currently (manfully) filling in, while my Arcam AVR600 has been sent back to the factory to be fixed.....how ironic is that!!

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Broner said:
My bunnies ate my previous speakers. They were particularly fond of the rubber rings around the woofers. Bunnies are not allowed in the room anymore.

You are Hugh Hefner and I claim my £5

I don't give refunds for magazines with sticky pages, if you get my drift.. huhuhuh. huh.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Our last cat used to like to sleep on top of my wife's nice warm Rotel amplifier. When she got old, the cat (not my wife, who is forever young) became incontinent and flooded the amplifier through its top vents. It stopped working. After a few days and repeated use of a hair dryer it started playing again. In fact the sound quality had improved noticeably! Twenty years later the amplifier is still working perfectly and the smell has long gone.

For all you guys who like to 'burn in' your amplifiers, can I suggest marinating in cat pee is even more effective!

Andrew

Hmmm, I wonder what the results would be if your amp had been given a 'fecal treatment'.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
steve_1979 said:
We've just got a new kitten at out house so I always cover the subwoofer up when it's not in use at the moment. If the kitten did manage to damage/destroy it I would feel p****d off but I wouldn't get angry at the kitten. It's just a kitten doing what kittens naturally do. If people can't except/deal with young animals doing things like scratching stuff or peeing on the carpet which is common at first while you train them how to behave then don't have animals.

You're right of course, but it is easy to rationalise about these things, quite a bit different at 5 in the morning when you're surveying the scene of destruction :)

I should make it clear that no animals were hurt in the making of this thread ;)

Rereading that post it must have come across as sounding like a reprimand which wasn't the intentsion. :)

It wasn't even directed at you I just sharing my views on people with pets and how intolerant and insensitive the human race can be at times.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It wasn't even directed at you I just sharing my views on people with pets and how intolerant and insensitive the human race can be at times.

I'm keep telling Mrs.Cno that my rights should at least equal those of our pets! :(

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
mikeparker59 said:
My A&R A60 blew a fuse just a few days before warranty ran out. It came with replacement fuses so I popped another in and it immediately blew. Returned Amp to A&R apparently one of the output transistors was faulty. Repaired under guarantee and the amp has been working ever since, and still gets used a couple of times a month as part of my second system in my study/computer room.

That was 30 odd years ago, I've since renewed the volume pot as the old one was horribly crackly, and all is well again. Even the old capacitors look fine and non leaky unlike the caps in my T21 which are looking distorted but I don't use it that much so will probably not bother re-capping it, esp if FM gets turned off |(

My A&R A60 is currently (manfully) filling in, while my Arcam AVR600 has been sent back to the factory to be fixed.....how ironic is that!!

I do wonder if my Marantz will still be going strong in 30 years time, mind you, I'll probably be well past it myself by then I'll be knocking on for 85 myself!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
I do wonder if my Marantz will still be going strong in 30 years time, mind you, I'll probably be well past it myself by then I'll be knocking on for 85 myself!

I won't be far behind you.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Many years ago my MF P270 developed some sort of fault. I think some beer may have spilt in it during a party. :cheers:
As the right channel started to crackle, before I could get to the off switch, smoke started to pour out of the bass driver of my Epos ES 14. Never really understood how that happened but the driver had cooked solid. Annoyingly, Epos were in the throes of going out of business, so no replacement drivers where available and a great pair of speakers consigned to the bin............ :wall:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Strewth, stay on topic boys!!! Or I'll have to send Broner & his bunnies over to sort you two out :p

Mrs.Cno eats bunnies for breakfast!
evil.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts