Hi-Fi Bargain: Sonos AMP

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I have recently decided to streamline my setup as i could no longer be bothered with all the boxes. I was running a Cyrus 8vs2 amp, Sonos Connect, PSB Imagine Mini Bookshelfs, CA Dacmagic + all the required cables. The system has sounded very good to my ears for a while now but i really wanted to simplify things. Anyway i sold all the kit apart from the PSB speakers and even went down the Sonos Play:5 route. That didn't last long as i missed the stereo imaging and clarity of the old setup. I decided to take the plunge and buy the Sonos AMP as they offer a 100 day free return policy (if you order direct with Sonos).

Most of the reviews have been pretty good but i was wary having been used to the Cyrus setup previously. It cost £499 as it has recently been reduced. It's one box and provides everything i need for streaming Spotify, all my ALAC from my NAS and even has an out for a Sub and HDMI ARC. It has 125wpc in Class D form so plenty of power.

I have had it hooked up to the PSB Imagine Mini speakers for a few weeks now and its fantastic. Plenty of low end but i don't feel like it is lacking in clarity either. It sounds good with all types of music i am listening to. I really can't say i feel like i have compromised from the previous setup, if anything i prefer this one. I don't know if that is just my ears having got used to it or what but who cares really. I am not saying that the Sonos AMP can compete with this amp or that but i am very impressed for the money and it makes a great match with my PSB speakers which i think are amazing for the money if you have space constraints.

Anyway if anybody is looking for an amplifier or streaming option (whether you have passive speakers or not etc) i would seriously try and audition this amp. If you buy direct with Sonos you get free 100 day returns.

I would also be interested so see if other people have gone down this route and what their thoughts are. It is all personal preference after all.

Reactions: Precision

insider9

I've used Sonos Connect and Connect amp in the past. It is a small and convenient way of setting up your music system around the house. It all goes down to use and how you listen to music. Having music everywhere was nice but I got distracted a lot. I never liked background music and Sonos had to go. For the size, convenience and cost it is great. However I'm old school and prefer separates. Sitting down and giving my undivided attention when I listen.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I've used Sonos Connect and Connect amp in the past. It is a small and convenient way of setting up your music system around the house. It all goes down to use and how you listen to music. Having music everywhere was nice but I got distracted a lot. I never liked background music and Sonos had to go. For the size, convenience and cost it is great. However I'm old school and prefer separates. Sitting down and giving my undivided attention when I listen.
Yeah i have Sonos speakers in most of my other rooms for convenience but this AMP is used in my main system in the lounge for more serious listening. It provides more than just background listening.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Sonically, it's not what I'm after from DAC+amp. Neither would be the Cyrus + DAC magic it replaced. I'm glad it's working for you though. And I agree it is a bargain.
Just out of interest, sonically what didn't you like about the new Sonos AMP or are you referring to the old Connect:AMP. Especially at higher volumes they sound quite different. New one has more than double the power which may have something to do with it. Not sure of the DAC is different or not.

insider9

It was ConnectAMP I've used and Connect into separates. Thought the presentation was musical but felt the DAC stage sounded quite soft and on both and with not as much resolution as I'd like. Power section was OK at low to mid levels but I like to crank the volume and it was getting congested and sounded strained past a certain point.

I've not heard the new ones so can't really comment. Either way my taste isn't the usual and I prefer the older kit a lot of the time. Particularly speakers and sources. Lots of new DACs just sound wrong to me 😂

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
It was ConnectAMP I've used and Connect into separates. Thought the presentation was musical but felt the DAC stage sounded quite soft and on both and with not as much resolution as I'd like. Power section was OK at low to mid levels but I like to crank the volume and it was getting congested and sounded strained past a certain point.

I've not heard the new ones so can't really comment. Either way my taste isn't the usual and I prefer the older kit a lot of the time. Particularly speakers and sources. Lots of new DACs just sound wrong to me 😂
Fair enough, it's all down to personal taste i suppose. I think Class D amps sound fairly neutral but some of the older kit (My dad has some 30 year old kit) sounds a little warmer with it being Class A and Class A/B.

Reactions: insider9

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I like Sonos and the house sound is really rather good across the range : I've got a Connect, Play 1's and the excellent 5 in my kitchen. I've found that putting the connect through a half decent dac opens up the sound a lot. Ive also got a Bluesound Node 2i and a Powernode 2i on order. Bluesound is better than Sonos as a streamer imo a much more refined sound. I will let you know how i get on with the Powernode shortly.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I like Sonos and the house sound is really rather good across the range : I've got a Connect, Play 1's and the excellent 5 in my kitchen. I've found that putting the connect through a half decent dac opens up the sound a lot. Ive also got a Bluesound Node 2i and a Powernode 2i on order. Bluesound is better than Sonos as a streamer imo a much more refined sound. I will let you know how i get on with the Powernode shortly.
Yeah please do. I thought about the Bluesound and the reviews are decent but I’m kind of invested in the Sonos ecosystem so went for the AMP. I’ve got a Play:1, ONE, Play:3 and they’re all great for casual listening etc. The Play:5 was great for the money but for an extra £100 I was able to get the amp. No regrets.

Reactions: knaithrover

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah please do. I thought about the Bluesound and the reviews are decent but I’m kind of invested in the Sonos ecosystem so went for the AMP. I’ve got a Play:1, ONE, Play:3 and they’re all great for casual listening etc. The Play:5 was great for the money but for an extra £100 I was able to get the amp. No regrets.
I've had a day with the Powernode and I'm impressed so far, extremely detailed clear punchy sound, not sure whether my MA RX1 speakers are the best match but will give it more time

Reactions: Bumrah

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts