Hi-End Headphones and amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am going to buy my first Headphone kit. Which one (Hi-End, of course) ??? I am thinking to demo Sennheiser HD-595 or HD-600 and Musical Fidelity X-Can. Clare, Andy, anybody ??? Need some help.

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of HD600's, the sound is "ok", particularly mid-range but overall could be more transparent for my liking I find them uncomfortable to wear after about an hour as well. Not my greatest ever purchase all in all.

I suspect you could do better for the money. Perhaps try the equaivalently priced Grado's. Maybe you could pick up a second hand pair of Stax for £200, I haven't kept up to date really.

A

Anonymous

In terms of "hi-end" (what is your budget exactly?) cans, my recommendation would have to be GS1000 (£850) which have set a new benchmark for headphones... unless of course you are talking the highest end of the spectrum where the Sennheiser Orpheus (£10,000) would come into play...
Of course if you are a mere mortal like me and consider the £250 mark hi-end then you should check out the Beyerdynamic DT880 or the Sennheiser HD600 as suggested above. As always, it is best to test as many of the cans as you can in your budget. As for headphone amps... Graham Slee Solo, Creek OBH-21 SE, Grado RA-1 all spring to mind but all depend on your budget...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply. 300 GBP for headphones and about 200 GBP for amp. Any suggestions now?

A

Anonymous

Hello you could give these guys a look in. WWW.HeadAmp.com , I hope it's of use to you I had mine back recently and I'm very impressed.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
As Thaiman suggests the Stax Omegas are really nice but a complete system is pricey even second-hand. Personally I really like Grado headphones and I suppose the models you should look at for your budget are the SR225s or if you can stretch to it the SR325s. As for headphone amp try the Graham Slee Solo Intro. You can upgrade the Solo Intro at a later date with the PSU-1 too. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Darren

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cyberbob"]Thanks for reply. 300 GBP for headphones and about 200 GBP for amp. Any suggestions now?[/quote]

absolutely! Sennheiser HD650 (300 GBP retail although can be found for as little as 200 GBP if you shop around) and for the amp i would recommend the Creek OBH-21 (200GBP) .
for this money you are unlikely to find a better combo!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts