hi can someone explain what airport express does

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, i was asking if someone could explain in plane english what airport express is and does , i use my hifi which is a marantz pearl lite ,cd6004, monitor audio bx 5 ,all good quality lead s etc to listen to cds ,i also use an ipod touch through the usb on the cd to make use of its dac , would an airport express give me more options, i do have a wifi network at home in the same room as hifi ,does it mean i can connect wirelessly to my hifi , and how would i connect the a/e to my hifi .the same cds i have are all on the ipod any way, please help .

Tonestar1

OK. You plug the airport express in next to your hi-fi then take an optical lead and plug it into your amp. The airport joins your wireless network and allows you to stream i-tunes music from your computer or ipod touch to your amp.

Does that explain it well enough or do you need more detail?

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply , that seems easy enough, so the ipod will wirelessly play through my hifi and i can just sit on the sofa with the lap top /ipod and send music , so i would not need to put it through a dac , or would adding a dac at a later date help as it seems music of the future is going to be downloaded or streamed thanks ian

A

Anonymous

The Airport Express has a good quality DAC built in. It's a real handy piece of kit for small money.

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
hi also forgot to add , i have a ethernet cable by my hifi, i put three in before they laid new carpet i used one for tv and one for sky, so i could wire the airport express i persume, missus wants to know what to get for xmas so an ae it is thanks

A

Anonymous

Good luck getting the optical out to work on the latest generation AE. The Apple forums are dogged with complaints of how the recent software updates have pretty much rendered AppleTV & Express units useless for the purpose you are seeking. I sent my 2nd generation one back the day I bought it, I also made this video of my woes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-luPKggkJrQ

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi i got a new airport express in comet £45.00 , and it works well from my ipod to my amp , but for some reason my internet has gone really slow even when not streaming music ,infact when it was plugged in to a ethernet cable we could not get online ,so it is now disconnected , any advice would be welcome thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts