Hey, Big Chris, you got a minute?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:By the way, as we're both prone to to banging the pigskins, how good is the drummer? Amazing, right?
He does stuff with timing that would trip me up just thinking about trying it!

Yeah, he's great. Very inventive and technical playing. He eschews speed in favour of those bizarre polyrythyms (most of the time! 'I' is very fast!)

The first Meshuggah album I heard was 'Nothing'. The drumming impressed to start with, but when I listened closer and could hear the Hi-Hat keeping the tempo in the first riff of 'Stengah', along with all the other crazy stuff, it blew me away.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mike aitch:
sepultura-chaos ad, seminal thrash album

machine head-burn my eyes

as an aside have you sampled the genius that is tool?

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm familiar with Sepultura, but haven't heard any Machine head.

Yeah, I have been a big, big fan of Tool since the mid nineties when 'Undertow' came out. Great band that have never put a foot wrong, in my eyes.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:bretty:By the way, as we're both prone to to banging the pigskins, how good is the drummer? Amazing, right?

He does stuff with timing that would trip me up just thinking about trying it!

Yeah, he's great. Very inventive and technical playing. He eschews speed in favour of those bizarre polyrythyms (most of the time! 'I' is very fast!)The first Meshuggah album I heard was 'Nothing'. The drumming impressed to start with, but when I listened closer and could hear the Hi-Hat keeping the tempo in the first riff of 'Stengah', along with all the other crazy stuff, it blew me away.

Exactly! That track 'Stengah' is a barn-storming opening to an album! His footwork on the hi-hat is amazing, you're right!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ok, Ive just re-ordered 'Darkwater park' and ordered 'Deliverance' and Meshuggah 'Catch 33'.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks, once i've had a proper listen.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:bretty:
Ok, Ive just re-ordered 'Darkwater park'"Darkwater Park"? Must be a limited edition.;-)

Yep, REALLY limited edition. Only one copy. You not heard of it? Call yourself a fan!

Ha, yeah, I fooked up, course I meant 'Blackwater Park'.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Big Chris:bretty:
Ok, Ive just re-ordered 'Darkwater park'"Darkwater Park"? Must be a limited edition.;-)

Yep, REALLY limited edition. Only one copy. You not heard of it? Call yourself a fan!

Ha, yeah, I fooked up, course I meant 'Blackwater Park'.

Hope you didn't pay too much. Play has them for a fiver each at present.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, i'm having my first listen to 'Blackwater Park', which arrived today. So far, track six is the stand-out track (i've had a tough day at work and gym and the cd case is two metres away. Too far, so can't tell you track title) with a great powerful, crunching riff.

I'm liking the diverse style so far. The mix between death scream and melodic singing works for me. It's all been well recorded, too. When everything quietens down to just a guitar, it sounds superb.

So, to Big Boy Chrissy and everyone else who recommended Opeth: good shout, I salute you all.

As an aside, has anyone else bought 'Backspacer' yet? My God, it sucks donkey balls. Now, i've been a fan of Pearl Jam from the very beginning, having tickets to the Astoria gig in '92 that was cancelled cos poor little Eddie 'didn't feel well'. They were my favourite band, but, after this album, I've gotta face the fact that they are now shiite (and, if i'm honest, have been since 'Binaural'). Eddie can't sing anymore, the power and range of his voice is long gone and Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, two amazingly talented guitarists (Listen to 'Ten', it say's it all) have gotten lazy, churning out predictable bar-chord driven rubbish.

As much as I hate to say it, i'm done with them. I'll not listen to 'Backspacer' again, nor buy any future releases.

Of course, I'll still listen to their good stuff: 'Ten', 'Vs', 'Vitalogy' and, the under-rated 'No Code'.

Anyone else have an opinion on Pearl Jam?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ok, Opeth- 'Deliverence' turned up a few days ago. I like it, but don't think it comes close to 'Blackwater Park'.

Also, I got 'Dark Passion Play' by Nightwish. Haven't heard it yet, but was hearing good things on Amazon. Paid £3 on marketplace, thinking it was second hand. It's brand new, sealed, and the 3-CD special edition. Bargain.

Anyone heard them?

A

Anonymous

Nightwish? Yeah, favourite band. Not heard much of the other stuff in this thread so can't really compare. DPP is very varied, something for most people somewhere along the line.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts