Hey, Big Chris, you got a minute?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi fella,

I'm hoping that you might be able to chuck a couple of suggestions my way.

I've always liked my rock music, stuff like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in chains, Faith no more, etc.

Recently, though, i've started getting into the heavier stuff. Not thrash (used to like Anthrax and Slayer), the fast stuff doesn't do it for me anymore. I'm on about the slower stuff with really deep, crunching guitars. For some examples of the stuff I have now: Pantera, Slipknot and today I got Meshuggah 'Nothing' (which i'm listening to now. It's goood). Have you got any ideas of other bands I could try.

Thanks, matey.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
bretty:
Have you got any ideas of other bands I could try.

Thanks, matey.

Akercocke
Brain Drill
Bros
Cattle Decapitation
Cradle of Filth
Death Breath
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Dying Fetus
Fleshrot
Girls Aloud
Gorerotted
Killwhitneydead
McFly
Napalm Death
Pungent Stench
Septic Flesh
Steps
Vomit Remnants

:)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bretty,

when you described the sort of music you were looking for I thought "no problem, I like that kind of sound". Then of course my mind went blank when I tried to think of some bands names. Hope to come back to you later with more but for now I shall leave you with one name that springs to mind - My Dying Bride. Suggested albums to try are -

`Turn Loose The Swans`

`Like Gods Of The Sun`

`Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light`

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Just thought of another band - Paradise Lost.

Start with `Draconian Times` and `Icon`. If you like these try `Shades Of God`, `In Requiem` and `One Second` (slightly more commercial in places)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris hasn't got a minute but TM have
emotion-2.gif

If you like Pantera then also check out Damage plan for the obvious reason. Few more album that I do think that will get you hook are

arts_Black-Label-Society.jpg

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. Been tied up for a few days (7th anniversary yesterday).

The list below isn't quite a 'dirgey' as Meshuggah, but are well worth seeking out....

Diesel Machine - Torture Test. (Pantera-ish. Guitarist Pat Lachman became the singer in 'Damageplan')
Fear Factory - Demanufacture & Obsolete. (Mid - Fast stuff, but not thrash, more controlled, almost industrial. Also sheck out 'Devine Heresy', same guitarist as FF, bit faster again).
Textures - Silhouettes. (awesome technical prog metal)
Opeth - Deliverance & Blackwater Park. (Best. Band. Ever.........)
Hacride - Amoeba. (Strange mix, quite Meshuggah-ish with faster bits)
Skinlab - Disembody: The New Flesh.
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius & The Way Of All Flesh (Meshuggah guitarist Marten Hagstrom's personal fave of the new wave of metal bands, and one of my faves too. Mix of stuff, fast and slow)

Don't forget Meshuggah's own 'Catch 33'. Their other albums 'I', 'Obzen' & 'Chaosphere' are all a bit faster than 'Catch 33' (& 'Nothing').

For slow, down-tuned stuff, you've really gotta try Neurosis. 'Through Silver In Blood' & 'Times Of Grace' are my personal faves.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Big Chris:Been tied up for a few days (7th anniversary yesterday)

Wow. I only got a card.

I didn't even give her a card! I forgot!..... Well.... Not forgot my anniversary as such, but being dole scum, all the days seem to blend together and I thought we were only halfway through August. Didn't find out it was my impending anniversay (or more correctly, the 24th) until Sunday evening!

Oh well. I'd bought her a Sony E-Reader a couple of weeks ago, and we went to TGIs last night, so I think I dodged that bullet.

John Duncan

Nice save. Was my OH's birthday on holiday (it always is, and it's a b-gger packing presents, and it means I have to buy them earlier), so she got some Jo Malone candles and an IOU for some Manolos (no way I was going to buy them blind...)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Nice save. Was my OH's birthday on holiday (it always is, and it's a b-gger packing presents, and it means I have to buy them earlier), so she got some Jo Malone candles and an IOU for some Manolos (no way I was going to buy them blind...)

Manolos? Lucky Mrs D. Just don't let her read this about the other pressie....Best quote: "...if potpourri was a Hitler of a fashion, scented
candles are Stalin. Millions more have suffered."

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:Nice save. Was my OH's birthday on holiday (it always is, and it's a b-gger packing presents, and it means I have to buy them earlier), so she got some Jo Malone candles and an IOU for some Manolos (no way I was going to buy them blind...)

Manolos? Lucky Mrs D. Just don't let her read this about the other pressie....Best quote: "...if potpourri was a Hitler of a fashion, scented
candles are Stalin. Millions more have suffered."

Or Jimmy Choos, don't care - all shoes look alike to me. Something to go with the dress she got for her (belated) party next weekend.

And don't get me started on the scented candles. £38 each?!?!?!?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Sorry. Been tied up for a few days (7th anniversary yesterday).The list below isn't quite a 'dirgey' as Meshuggah, but are well worth seeking out....Diesel Machine - Torture Test. (Pantera-ish. Guitarist Pat Lachman became the singer in 'Damageplan')Fear Factory - Demanufacture & Obsolete. (Mid - Fast stuff, but not thrash, more controlled, almost industrial. Also sheck out 'Devine Heresy', same guitarist as FF, bit faster again).Textures - Silhouettes. (awesome technical prog metal)Opeth - Deliverance & Blackwater Park. (Best. Band. Ever.........)Hacride - Amoeba. (Strange mix, quite Meshuggah-ish with faster bits)Skinlab - Disembody: The New Flesh.Gojira - From Mars To Sirius & The Way Of All Flesh (Meshuggah guitarist Marten Hagstrom's personal fave of the new wave of metal bands, and one of my faves too. Mix of stuff, fast and slow)Don't forget Meshuggah's own 'Catch 33'. Their other albums 'I', 'Obzen' & 'Chaosphere' are all a bit faster than 'Catch 33' (& 'Nothing').For slow, down-tuned stuff, you've really gotta try Neurosis. 'Through Silver In Blood' & 'Times Of Grace' are my personal faves.

Cheers, buddy. Happy Anniversary for yesterday.

That's a thorough list, mate. Thanks for taking the time. I'm gonna buy the two Opeth first.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris, there are some on your list that I haven't heard, could you just tell me if any of them do scream? I can't listen too much of that now I am getting older.... In scream, I mean the like of "Hatebreed"!

cheers

idc

Dazmb:bretty:

Thanks, matey.

Akercocke Brain Drill Bros Cattle Decapitation Cradle of Filth Death Breath Die Apokalyptischen Reiter Dying Fetus Fleshrot Girls Aloud Gorerotted Killwhitneydead McFly Napalm Death Pungent Stench Septic Flesh Steps Vomit Remnants :)

I bet that the above, when they get home, like nothing more than their gran round for tea, an episode of Antique Roadshow, a hot cup of coco and an early night, especially Pungent Stench.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
Big Chris, there are some on your list that I haven't heard, could you just tell me if any of them do scream? I can't listen too much of that now I am getting older.... In scream, I mean the like of "Hatebreed"!

cheers

Which ones in particular TM? I can go into crazy depths of detail if required.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
idc:Dazmb:bretty:

Thanks, matey.

Akercocke Brain Drill Bros Cattle Decapitation Cradle of Filth Death Breath Die Apokalyptischen Reiter Dying Fetus Fleshrot Girls Aloud Gorerotted Killwhitneydead McFly Napalm Death Pungent Stench Septic Flesh Steps Vomit Remnants :)

I bet that the above, when they get home, like nothing more than their gran round for tea, an episode of Antique Roadshow, a hot cup of coco and an early night, especially Pungent Stench.

Still better than 'Steps' though.

;-)

idc

Big Chris:idc:Dazmb:bretty:

Thanks, matey.

Still better than 'Steps' though. ;-)

Lol, I had read the list as 'Fleshrot Girls' and 'Aloud Gorerotted' and missed the others doh!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:So bretty. Hear anything you like yet?

I've had a shed load of new cd's to get through, so I have only ordered one so far - Opeth -'Blackwater Park', but it's been a week and it's a no show. Amazon marketplace is usually good. I'll give it a few more days then order another one.

I've listened to the Meshuggah album -'Nothing', loads over the last few weeks. The first time I listened to it, I liked it, but by the end of the album I felt like i'd been bashed around the head for 45 minutes. It seemed relentless and the songs seemed to merge into one big audio battering ram . But, after a few more listens, the intricacy of the musicianship started to emerge from the barrage, and the tracks began to get their own identity. Really, really like it now.

By the way, as we're both prone to to banging the pigskins, how good is the drummer? Amazing, right?

He does stuff with timing that would trip me up just thinking about trying it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts