admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone help me?

I have Monitor Audio Silver 6 Floorstanders with an Onkyo DX7333 cd player.

The amp is a Trio KF64 ! ..........Yes I know there is a complete mismatch but I know nothing! well almost.

The problem is that I have to divide my budget between listening to music and playing/recording music so the amount I can spend is small ( On both! just recently bought new PC as well ! )

What would be the minimum upgrade to make my speakers justify thier existence !!?? Keep in mind the word minimum

Thanks

A

Anonymous

100 quid sounds good to me!

I will check them out now.

About the cd player: would you reckon that it will hold its own with the set up? (With the new Amp of course)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Matthew

If you can stump upto about £150-£200 then go for the Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp off Ebay. Cracking amp that will make the M/A RS6 speakers sing. I should know!

matthewpiano

Its not the best CD player but neither is it poor - everything Onkyo make is at least decent, and it will more than tide you over until you can afford something better (which your system deserves in the long run).

A

Anonymous

Well that settles it ! Arcam Alpha it is ! I've been on ebay already and there's one or two that look good to me. Thanks for the advice.

On the subject of cd players what is it that makes one better than the other? Don't they all just read packets of data and send it to the amp for converting to sound?

I always thought it was the sample rate and quality of recording that was important. I know I'm wrong or there wouldn't be cd players out there costing several hundred pounds!

But why??

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
"On the subject of cd players what is it that makes one better than the other? Don't they all just read packets of data and send it to the amp for converting to sound? "

In theory yes! Although most actually convert the data to analogue signal and send that to the amp.
There are things that affect it, quality of transport mechanism (what the laser doesn't read the DAC can't convert), quality of DAC (digital to analogue converter) there are many different methods used for translating the digital signal to analogue and they all appear to affect the way the player sounds, not to mention quality of construction, which can alter players ability to react to vibration and the interaction between components in the player which can be reduced by careful design of circuitboard layout.

nads

[quote user="Gwyndy"]"On the subject of cd players what is it that makes one better than the other? Don't they all just read packets of data and send it to the amp for converting to sound? "

[/quote] Nope the send it to their onboard DAC unless you are running a seperate External DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts