Help with turntable purchase

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

Im looking at buying a new turntable in the next few weeks. Ive mainly got my heart set on the Project Debut Carbon but there is a thought on the Rega RP1 Performance.

Which would anyone recommend as the deal breaker? Or is there another contender I should consider. Budget topping out at around £350

Thanks

Michael, if you look you will find plenty of threads about turntables at this price. Of the two you mention both are about as good as each other. Buy whichever you like the looks of and you will not be disappointed. On a personal note just make sure the Rega also comes with a lid / dust cover, I'm pretty sure it does.

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks. Ive been spending my spare time reviewing what I can. The Project has it I think but I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend my hard earned :)

Michael Earl said:
Many thanks. Ive been spending my spare time reviewing what I can. The Project has it I think but I wanted to get a few opinions before I spend my hard earned :)

Personally I think you have made a good choice. It's always good if you can get people to actually go and audition these things and, for what its worth, it's where my money would have gone (even though I don't particularly like the cartridge it comes fitted with, having said that it's better than the Rega Bias).

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't actually heard either of those turntables, but I have only ever heard good things about them both, so I agree with Al - you won't be disappointed with either. And perhaps worth considering a cartridge upgrade when the one supplied with the TT needs replacing.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I doubt there is little to choose between the two tables you mentioned. I went for a Rega RP1 Performance which has a few extras such as a top brace and acrylic platter and ceramic bearing. This brings it i suspect up to the price of a project carbon (although i bought it already upgraded). I think i would go with whichever table you like the look of or better still demo both and decide. I like the look of the Rega.

rega3.jpg

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
yes the Rega RP1 comes with the clear acrylic dust cover - i just took it off to play records and take a photo. the platter on mine and the brace do not come as standard - these were added separately. to be honest i cant comment on how much better they made the table as i didnt have it in its original form but it certainly sounds good. the person i bought it off did say the acrylic platter made quite a difference. i am no expert in upgrades but i thought it worth having as part of the deal (£275) as it looks nice too. i think getting the performance pack is recommended as the first step up and then maybe the extras i have or invest in a different cartridge.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
yes the Rega RP1 comes with the clear acrylic dust cover - i just took it off to play records and take a photo. the platter on mine and the brace do not come as standard - these were added separately. to be honest i cant comment on how much better they made the table as i didnt have it in its original form but it certainly sounds good. the person i bought it off did say the acrylic platter made quite a difference.

That's interesting, I swapped the metal platter on my Pro-ject Debut II for an acrylic one a year or so back (grud, might be two years now, last time I went to the Bristol Show!) and I've got to be honest I didn't really notice any difference, certainly nothing like as much as changing the original cartridge for a 2M Red (which cost the same amount).

i am no expert in upgrades but i thought it worth having as part of the deal (£275) as it looks nice too.

Yeah, that was a large part of my thinking as well!

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Very intersting responses and thsanks for all the info. I love the look on the Debut Carbon and its what I have been navigating towards. Im glad the mention of acrylic platters has arrived as I have been trying to consider the justification of the Esprit SB

I like the option for speed change at the touch of a button (I have serveral 45RPM remasters), the stand/holding arm for the tone arm seems to be more useful, and I also the addition of acrylic platter...........I know the answers of testing them out etc but would the extra £100 be mis-spent?
ITs another 5 or so new vinyl :)

All thoughts appreciated

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I just had my brand spanking new Debut Carbon DC delivered from Henley Designs. Im very impressed with the customer servise and delivery times. WOW

Shame Im stuck in work with it winking at me :)

Many thanks again to all those who gave answers

richard38

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Only don't watch if it has won a price from this site, since their new review is an example that they don't

know a lot .. negative point: the sound gets crackly/bad/whatever at low volumes--->. that's exactly why it doesn't deserve 5 stars since it's a bad amp....... A well build amp stays clear when it reaches the 'noisefloor', which is something that's made up by people, by lack of better equipment ... They think if noise is hardly measurable, it ain't audible, maybe that's the same with cables..... Offcourse not 2000euro for a cable, then you're crazy. But first look a lot of youtube movies and read a lot, only not by sites which get sponsormoney from large audiomanufacturers..... That's bs

richard38

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a well made choice, since it is also a great difference between the rp3 and rp6 , Besides the

powersupply and glass platter. Project doesn't offer much more . If you have the acryl it platter, the heavier platter is an upgrade and if you buy one with the heavy platter, the acryl one is an upgrade....

Other feet will be an upgrade at project and when you buy a turntable, the powersupply has to be well made. Philips never offered me a powersupply to get a better tv image. Only in this business they have that. In the Netherlands they are quite easy with it, cause a judge will say: you sold the the bad powersupply on purpose, knowing that it would degrate the function of the turntable/preamp etc...

But as long as everybody plays along with the game.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts