Help with sharpness setting?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wanted to know what number setting for 'sharpness' i should have my sony LCD at when watching both high def and SD? Any advice would be appreciated

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
General concensus is to switch it off completely. Mine is switched off on my Pana. See if you like it like that, can take your eyes a while to notice a difference so keep each setting for a few days first before making up your mind.

A

Anonymous

I'd disagree. On my Pioneer set, turning sharpness all the way down doesn't just stop sharpening, it actively softens the image. Bizarrely 'off' seems to be about -3, even though the scale runs from -15 to +15. It's unlikely that settings for Sony or Panasonic TVs will be the same. You need to get hold of a test pattern with a grid or at least lines with high contrast (white on black, for example). Turn sharpness down to the point where any ringing or smearing between the foreground and background disappears, but no further. Digital Video Essentials includes a really good pattern for setting sharpness.

Gazuk

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
I too agree that if the sharpness is turned off the image is just too soft and not sharp enough especially on sd material but also hd. I have mine set about half way on my panny plasma.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I turned the sharpness down on my panasonic plasma and also thought the picture looked to soft if not blurry so have turned mine back up.

panasonic 50px70-panasonic bd30-panasonic ex87-onkyo 606-kef iQ5se's-kef iQ2c-kef iQ1's on atacama nexes 6 stands-kef 1005's as back surrounds-kef psw 1000.2 sub.

A

Anonymous

The sharpness turned of on my pana but on +1 on my onkyo 875! I get less edge noise(or what ever you call it) running it that way.

bryster

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
Although we have different sony models I have previously scoured the internet for best settings and the general concensous is to st the sharpness at about 35. Thats assuming your model has sharpness values from 0-10.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bryster:
... and the general concensous is to st the sharpness at about 35. Thats assuming your model has sharpness values from 0-10.

I feel a challenge coming up ...

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Agreed with those who say 'off' looks too soft - to my eyes, doing this robs Blu-ray of any kind of wow-factor on my Panny plasma. I generally leave mine at around 60% - this looks good to me without screwing up motion / introducting noise etc.

TRENDING THREADS