Help with re-living my youth!

Daimlerboy

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi forum members. I’m a middle aged chap interested in getting hold of a good vintage set up to remind me of the stuff I couldn’t afford as a kid! At the time I used to own a cheap akai racking system but dreamt of Linn turntables and quad speakers...I’m tempted to have a bit of fun and put together a collection of some of the past “ hi if” greats instead of just connecting my iPhone to my blue tooth Bose speaker. The question is what to buy? Facebook marketplace and eBay seem to have plenty of 2nd hand goodies on sale. My music is mixed, opera through to rock and on cd and vinyl, room space large (20 feet by 30 feet with a high ceiling) and I have no near neighbours. ;) I could just go and buy it all new, but good stuff is always expensive so was thinking that some vintage gear that had been looked after could be an interesting way to go. Or have times changed, and I’m better off just going and buying a decent docking station and accepting that my old ears will never be able to pick out the difference ( if there is one) in sound quality anyway? I used to read what what hi fi every month in the eighties and should have kept them. The answer to my question probably lies in their yellowing pages!

Dom

2nd hand is great! Check out the reviews gone by and decide for yourself the dream system.
If I may, what is your budget? Knowing that will give us a good an idea how great it can be!

Reactions: scene

scene

2nd hand is great! Check out the reviews gone by and decide for yourself the dream system.
If I may, what is your budget? Knowing that will give us a good an idea how great it can be!
Agree - there's some cracking equipment to be had secondhand and it's a very good way to get equipment you couldn't otherwise afford.

As Dom says, budget would be useful - also the sort of music you like to listen to.

Daimlerboy

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Yes, budget is important, I should have included. I’m happy spending between 2 and 3000 pounds, of less then so much the better. Listening taste is broad, but the larger percentage would be classified as soft rock, although I am prone to sticking on a bit of Sinatra, Glenn Miller!!!

Jimboo

I would look for newer stuff to be honest , vintage is a buzz word and frankly pointless if sound quality is important. C.D players now have components and DACs you could only dream about back in the day and modern speakers are just so much better than in the past. If you fancy trolling through e-bay ads for gear dragged out of the loft because the owner needs a few quid and chasing repairs and parts for 30 - 40 year old stuff more power to you.A lot of us on here have stuff we have owned for years and at some point we stroll in a hi-fi shop hear how good the modern stuff is and buy new Kef or fyne etc speakers because we cannot believe how good they are. It sounds fun , retro looks cool but it doesn't compete with modern stuff.

D

Deleted member 108165

HiFi Wigwam classifieds is a good place for used but cherished gear. There's a nice Arcam amp on there at the mo that's been piquing my interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I would look for newer stuff to be honest , vintage is a buzz word and frankly pointless if sound quality is important. C.D players now have components and DACs you could only dream about back in the day and modern speakers are just so much better than in the past. If you fancy trolling through e-bay ads for gear dragged out of the loft because the owner needs a few quid and chasing repairs and parts for 30 - 40 year old stuff more power to you.A lot of us on here have stuff we have owned for years and at some point we stroll in a hi-fi shop hear how good the modern stuff is and buy new Kef or fyne etc speakers because we cannot believe how good they are. It sounds fun , retro looks cool but it doesn't compete with modern stuff.
If money's no object Jimboo, you may be right but think about this. Last year I bought a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 50s for £550 (My trusty MA 20SEs are in the attic). £4500 when new. All parts still available for them.
Good luck finding a £550 set of new speakers that have better sound quality.
You are right on the "digital" equipment. I have had several pieces of kit that were binned because the technology had been overtaken.
If you don't mind taking the risk on old equipment, it's a good way to get exceptional performance on the cheap, but you have to plan it out.

insider9

I disagree on old digital components. Older CD players and DACs sound generally much better. Talking specifically about PCM, TDA ones. Fidelity might have increased in modern DACs overall but that's at a cost of sounding less natural. Best part you can get likes of Mark Levinson for similar money to new Chord Mojo. Just need to know what you're looking for.

Jimboo

Yeah of course a lot of the old quality components can still sing a happy tune. Then again the parts which cost thousands then cost less now . If you find old naim and Linn stuff that has been regularly serviced I reckon they have a great sound. They also keep a fairly robust price.I think older expensive cd players sound as good as cheaper modern cd players would be nearer the mark. It is the remastered cd's that don't sound as good.

Jimboo

If money's no object Jimboo, you may be right but think about this. Last year I bought a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 50s for £550 (My trusty MA 20SEs are in the attic). £4500 when new. All parts still available for them.
Good luck finding a £550 set of new speakers that have better sound quality.
You are right on the "digital" equipment. I have had several pieces of kit that were binned because the technology had been overtaken.
If you don't mind taking the risk on old equipment, it's a good way to get exceptional performance on the cheap, but you have to plan it out.
What are you partnering with the speakers?

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jimboo,
Tag Mclaren AV32r and 100*5r amps, Oppo 105 player. Which is very useful for processing, streaming, HDMI connections, etc. The Oppo “modernised” my set up.
The rest of it - MA gold surrounds, a custom PC, Sky Q and a Pro-Ject deck. I play everything from movies to multi-channel music.
I hate to think what it would cost to replace new, although I have no doubt there are better modern options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts