Help with Pro-ject RPM 1.3 channel problem

cobb_aja

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello - hope someone can help me identify a problem. About 6 months ago I bought a Pro-ject 1.3 turntable for a knockdown price from Richer Sounds (it was only lacking a needle and an anti-skate weight which I got off the internet). I set it up as best I could according to the instructions, but have always had an intermittent problem that either or both of the channels become quiet and crackly. They come in briefly if I tap the top of the tone arm but this doens't really resolve the problem. I have replaced the cartridge and needle and still have the same problem. In fact it is possible that the problem is even worse having done so. Does anyone know what the problem could be. I wondered if it might be one of the following;

(a) Incorrect needle alignment - I don't really know how to use the two-point protractor, but it seems that with so many degrees of freedom (the rotation of the turntable and the movement of the tone arm) that wherever your needle is, it will hit both points on the protractor!

(b) The Amp - I am using an old Marantz amp, but I don't think it is this, as surely tapping the head of the tone arm wouldn't make a difference. Also, the CD, and auxiliary channels are fine.

(c) Loose connection in tone arm. Not sure if this is possible, but it's the only other thing I can think of.

I shoud say when it works, it works beautifully - particularly through my Wharfdale Diamond 121 speakers!

Any suggestions?

thanks

Andre

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi, it sounds as though there could be a loose connection inside the arm. As you got such a great deal, I wonder if it was ex display and may have suffered a little. I would suggest taking it back to them for checking as it will still be well within warranty.

cobb_aja

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It was under warranty, so they tested it for me and could find nothing wrong. Finally worked out it's my very old amp. Need to get a new one now. Thinking of getting the Marantz PM6004 for price/performance!

TRENDING THREADS