Help with my speaker choice... On a shoe string.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, my first post on here...

I'm looking for some direction when buying a new speaker package?
I have:
Sony STR DG820 AMP (AV Receiver)
REL R 205 subwoofer

I want to keep the above, however I would like to replace my five speakers.
I have Kef Q5 floorstanders and a matching set of Kef centre and Kef bookshelf rears but the tweeters are damaged on the front and centre + the rears are very big, clumsy and old looking. So in general, all five are too large in size, getting a bit old and damaged - they need to go!

I have a very low budget (around £200) and I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions?
Would the sound quality / performance reduce if I bought a 5.1 speaker package and substituted the SUB with my Rel SUB?
Would buying 2x sets of bookshelf for front and rear and a larger centre than those in the 5.1 packages be better?

I've looked at the following 5.1 packages where I would substitute my current sub:
Tannoy SFX5.1
Jamo A102 HCS5
Yamaha NSP285 5.1
Onkyo SKSHT528
Canton MOVIE 80CX

or buying all seperate?
Example:
Wharfdale Diamond 10.CC CENTRE
Boston Acoustics Soundware XS (PAIR) x2

Any help would be appreciated - I have a surround sound setup I'm nearly happy with - a decent set of speakers will finish the setup nicely :)

Cheers,

Ewan

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ooops sorry
emotion-10.gif

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the Tannoy EFX sound very good with a Sony amp so the SFX could be a good bet. My mate has some with a Yamaha amp and they sound good.

A

Anonymous

hi there i would recommend getting your self a set of kef 1005.2 system you can pick up a set in silver for £299 and black for £399 go for the silver set keep your old sub and sell the kef kube on ebay thats what i did and i got £280.00 inc delivery price so the 5 kef eggs cost me £20 if you sell the sub for £200 new boxed you get the 5 eggs for £100 bargain and they sound good too they also come with wall mounting brackets too i hope i have helped.

A

Anonymous

I like your way of thinking...
I might just do that - I do like the Kef eggs - I've looked at them before as a natural replacement for my current Kefs.
Was always too costly, but I'll keep an eye on ebay prices for the new subs to see if selling is an option.

I may also sell my old ones as damaged / repairable.

Cheers for the idea - all others more than welcome :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts