Help with my evo

t.wilson25

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hello needing a bit of help.

I have the project debut Carbon EVO and just purchased the project phono box ds3 b.
Now Do I just get new speakers to go with this if so what ones would you recommend?
Or do I send it back and just get powered speakers with built in pre amp - if so what ones?

thanks

matthewpianist

You need to get either an integrated amplifier and speakers, or powered/active speakers to go with your EVO and DS3 B. The choice is whether you have the amplifier as a separate box, or whether it's built into the speakers. Your DS3B is simply a phono pre-amp, which brings the output from the cartridge to line-level.

Reactions: Al ears

John Duncan

Can't off the top of my head think of powered speakers that have got a built in phono stage (though please correct me), but I had a few thoughts about this to try to keep it simple:

- Firstly, that's a very expensive phono stage for a base-to-mid-range turntable. I'd be spending less if I could (£100 tops probably) so if you can exchange I would.
- As Matt points out above, you might be better with a midrange amp with a phono stage in it around the £500 mark (Marantz PM6007 would be obvious choice).
- Then choice of small passive speakers is your oyster depending on your remaining budget. (I err on the side of standmount rather than floorstanders but it kind of depends on your room).

This to me will give you a bit of a more flexible system which you can upgrade over time if you want. IMO, YMMV, always.

Can't off the top of my head think of powered speakers that have got a built in phono stage (though please correct me), but I had a few thoughts about this to try to keep it simple:

- Firstly, that's a very expensive phono stage for a base-to-mid-range turntable. I'd be spending less if I could (£100 tops probably) so if you can exchange I would.
- As Matt points out above, you might be better with a midrange amp with a phono stage in it around the £500 mark (Marantz PM6007 would be obvious choice).
- Then choice of small passive speakers is your oyster depending on your remaining budget. (I err on the side of standmount rather than floorstanders but it kind of depends on your room).

This to me will give you a bit of a more flexible system which you can upgrade over time if you want. IMO, YMMV, always.
My sentiments entirely.
Cannot think of a powered speaker that has an inbuilt phono preamp, and as the turntable doesn't have one either a phono preamp of some sort will be necessary if OP goes down the powered speaker route.
The preamp mentioned is only useful if you buy one of their fully balanced turntables and the Evo isn't.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
There are a few powered speakers on the RS website with a switchable AUX input suitable for Phono input etc. No idea what they sound like or if they are recommended. Depends what the OP wants/needs.

Juzzie Wuzzie

"- As Matt points out above, you might be better with a midrange amp with a phono stage in it around the £500 mark (Marantz PM6007 would be obvious choice). "

Currently well below the £500 mark at certain retailer(s).

t.wilson25

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

thanks for replies, I just want my evo playing. it was hifi highlands up in inverness who told me to buy the sb3 phono box for my evo as I went in to the shop as I think is the only shop up my area to get advice/ buy locally.
What would you recommend my budget is about £800 to get it working and listening to my records?

thanks

Hi,

thanks for replies, I just want my evo playing. it was hifi highlands up in inverness who told me to buy the sb3 phono box for my evo as I went in to the shop as I think is the only shop up my area to get advice/ buy locally.
What would you recommend my budget is about £800 to get it working and listening to my records?

thanks
Buy an integrated and with an inbuilt phono stage like the Marantz already mentioned then add some passive speakers of your choice depending on the room size you are going to place them in.

Reactions: t.wilson25

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
If it were me I’d look at some klipsch 5s they are available around your budget if not a little cheaper. Has a nice phono stage built in and few digital inputs.

Hi fi corner in Falkirk sell klipsch and have a good returns policy. I live in Suffolk and get all my stuff from there never met them treat me well.

gasolin

Klipsche The five
81gx06qo+7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

System audio air (danish)

SA-air-1.5-2-1536x770.jpg.webp

matthewpianist

Totally agree.

Just to add, powered speakers don't have the same potential advantages as active speakers and quite often don't match a well chosen combination of amp with passive speakers.

John's suggestion of the PM6007 is a very good one and would give you plenty of flexibility for expanding your system in the future. If you know you will be sticking to a vinyl only system you could look at the Rega iO amplifier or one of the Project ones and add a pair of Q Acoustics 3010i or 3020i, or Dali Spektor 1 or 2.

Reactions: nopiano

gasolin

There are not much power for dali spektor 1 and 2 with a rega io, there sensitivity is in the low end

To play loud you need around 100 watt pr channel with the spektor 1 and around 50 watt pr channel with the spektor 2's

They also are somewhat unnaturally soft sounding in the upper midrange,lower tweeter at 3-4000hz which for me is noticeable,even the spektor 1 has great bass and can easily handle 50 watt

matthewpianist

The Spektors aren't terribly challenging for a decent budget amp - I've owned a pair of Spektor 2s so I know from experience. It all depends how loud the OP wishes to play music.

My own preference is for Q Acoustics but both they and Dali represent excellent value at that point in the market. There's also Mission LX MkII, Wharfedale Diamond 12, Klipsch Reference... Plenty of options, I've just shared my own thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts