Help with gaming headphones 500£ and source 200£

brzozx

Aug 22, 2021
Visit site
Hello i want upgrade my headphones im beginner in audiophile world, now i consider 3 pairs: DT1990 pro, HD660s and Hifiman sundara

Budget - Headphones: 400 £ (GBP) Willing to go a bit higher if the upgrades are significant. Source: 200£

Source/Amp - Need to buy have 200 £ budget for source or a little bit more

How the gear will be used - These will be exclusively for in-home use on my PC. I will be using it for gaming and listening music

Preferred tonal balance -

Preferred music genre(s) - Hip-hop/trap

Past gear experience - I am currently using the Cooler master mh752 These are OK

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve? - I am mostly looking to improve the sound,comfort and overall

Gray

You obviously know that your 3 shortlisted models are highly regarded. So you also know that each model has its dislikers / haters.
And that's the point.
Just as with any speakers, it's essential for you to listen for yourself.
Then there's that added issue of comfort.
My current (HD560S) headphones for example, are described by many as comfortable. Well they're not the worst, but they're nowhere near as comfortable as my HD590.
So on sound and comfort, only your opinions count.

Reactions: brzozx

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello.

As Gray has said above, If you are talking about general usage, then all the headphones you have mentioned are definitely all well listed and recommended. If you can stretch your budget another £100 i'd then list the focal Elegia as the go to headphone in the £500 bracket whilst they are still available.

However in terms of gaming headsets, I wouldn't necessarilly audition any of them depending on what games you are playing. In FPS titles, audio positioning is everything. Do you also need a microphone? If so something like the Beyerdynamic MMX300 Gen 2 might be more your cup of tea.

The other thing to consider here if we are specifically talking for gaming is whether a soundcard would be more beneficial. The Creative AE soundcards despite not being as good as an external DAC and AMP might be more beneficial to you from a gamers perspective.

If you are prioritizing sound in general or don't play FPS titles, then a combined DAC/AMP would be the way to go with your budget. Your choices though are limited at the £200 marker, with reasonable combi's pricing just above this.

The Topping EX5 sets a new standard at $350 but this can only be purchased from Shenzanaudio. Depending on the area of the world you are in, you also need to consider import duties and tax etc.

Other ones to consider would be:

- JDS Labs Element II
- Ifi Zen Dac
- Fiio K3

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Gray

I decided and want to buy bt 1990 pro but now i need amp/dac which is available in UK for 250 gbp
If you can get those Beyers for a good price and / or save up a bit more money, I would urge you to seriously consider that Topping EX5 that Jimmy has mentioned.
I bought their A50S, which is only an amp - because I already had a decent £100 DAC.
But in your position......as you need a DAC and amp......the EX5 could be your 'endgame'.
Yes, it's a significant £100 above your budget but, with no need for further upgrade, you might end up actually saving money (y)

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

TRENDING THREADS