Help with cables, please!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Need the help of people far more experienced than myself.

Over the last 2 years i have re-built my system.

I have Arcam FMJ CD36, A32 Integrated amp, P35 Poweramp, PMC GB1 Speakers, Project 2Xperience deck using leads that came with it, Atlas Navigator connect from cd to amp & Chord Cobra 3 from amp to amp.

This is in a self built cabinet featuring 15mm thick slate shelves for each item.

The speaker cable is the only thing left & is 12 year old Puresonic Cable.

I have noticed that unless the system is turned up pretty loud the image & weight of the sound is lost. I have a feeling the speaker cable is the issue but don't have a clue what would allow the most natural & open sound.

I also have wondered if this is just a feature of the transmission line speakers.

Many thanks in advance

Andy James

A

Anonymous

Nice system you have there Andy. If I was in your shoes the first thing I'd do is go to a local dealer to see what cables I could borrow. In my experience Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable is very good and the Chord Chameleon Silver Plus I/C would be ideal between the amps and CDP. All are silver plated cables that are revealing and have plenty of bandwidth! I never liked the Cobra 2 that I used to own and the move to the Chameleon was noticeable and good tweak, if not ground breaking. In your case you'd need the Odyssey 4 biwire speaker cable.

It's very difficult for me to comment on the sound because we all interpret these things very differently. My experience of transmission line speakers is that they do a good job of the bass at all volumes. The GB1i have average sensitivity at 87 dB but I can believe that they benefit from being cranked up to get the punch, especially with Arcam kit, not renowned for being punchy and exciting.

What are the room dimensions (roughly)? How far apart are the speakers and how far away do you sit? In theory to get the best imaging you should keep them in free space and sit in an equilateral triangle, with the speakers about 2-3m apart. Move them closer to walls (no closer than 20cm) and you'll get reinforced lower mid and bass at the cost of imaging. Solid floors will affect the bass too, with floorboards offering their own form of transmission line bass in some cases!

Forgive me if this is teaching you to suck eggs.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

For that system, silver cable is a must! I've always prefered it when I've heard systems as it is "cleaner" and doesn't congest the sound at high volumes (which is when you said it all gets a bit out of hand).

However, some of that congestion may be down to the accoustics of the room, as igglebert suggested.

A

Anonymous

Forgiveness granted!!

In my ignorance i did not realize that speakers with a front facing bass port, such as PMC GB1's still benefitted from being away from the walls, so in submission to her who must be obeyed i got them to put them close to the walls! I have just tried them out into room. Wow what a difference!

The system was bought over time purely on reading reviews!!

Now will try my local Sevenoaks Hi-fi which is in sevenoaks for a borrow of the cables you mention.

Thanks a million.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Excellent!

The port on transmission line speakers doesn't work in the same way as for bass reflex units. Even infinite baffle (sealed box) speakers like mine are affected by their proximity to walls (rear and side), but I don't get nasty booming when I get close
emotion-1.gif
Transmission line speakers are quite similar and can be placed with ease, but be careful not to thicken the mid too much and ruin the imaging.

Good luck with the cables and don't spend too much time on them as it might send you mad! I found that some comparisons on my own was a good start and then a quick session with some friends on another day to make the decision.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
AndythePlumber, I had a 1 hour experience with a Chord Cobra 3 (fully run-in) and I found it to be lacking in transparency and sparkle. Your system deserves better and I would agree with the others to go for something with silver in it.

A

Anonymous

Save your cash. Go and have a look at the Belden 5000UP cable. I get mine from Mark Grant Cables.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Andytheplumber:

The speaker cable is the only thing left & is 12 year old Puresonic Cable.

I have noticed that unless the system is turned up pretty loud the image & weight of the sound is lost. I have a feeling the speaker cable is the issue but don't have a clue what would allow the most natural & open sound.

Hello Andy,

Cable technology has moved on significantly in the last 10 years so most modern cables should outperform your current Puresonic Cable. Given your comments I would recommend a large gauge speaker cable (i.e., 3 sq/mm or larger) as this should help with the louder volume levels providing better control of your drivers.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify.

From the cd36 to a32 is Atlas Navigator I/C. I think thats a fine cable.

From the a32 to p35 is the Cobra 2. As this drives just the bass units what is the best cable for this? Are there ones made just for this purpose or should i match with another Atlas Navigator?

Like what i read of the Chord Odyssey 4 bi-wire. Will try asap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts