help! which subwoofer????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi, I have b&w 685 speaker and kandy mk3 amp and cd player and am looking for a bit more bass. Which subwoofer would be best for my system? I have a budget of £500, but wouldnt mind spending less

thanks

peter

A

Anonymous

I've never been too keen on subwoofers for music, but now after many years I have found one.

I think the only reason it works though is that a) it's designed to go with the speakers, b) it's expensive, and c) I'm prepared to position it out in the room rather than dump it in the corner.

It's easy to get the subwoofer wrong and make things sound worse.

Given your system and budget, and that the 685 should be sold easily for a good price, I'd consider just changing the main speakers.

A

Anonymous

Which do you have Eddie? As you stated, a tricky game these subwoofers. They can certainly add a huge amount but gently does it!

A

Anonymous

You could try the B&W 600-series subwoofers - If you check the latest "January" copy of What Hi-Fi magazine, you can see that somebody is in the same predicament as you in the letters section.

A

Anonymous

peter26:what about the wharfedale SW150s or b&w ASW610s?

Exactly the same two subs that the guy in the letter's options came to. The SW150 is suited to larger rooms (as it's more substantial) but the ASW610 has much better timing and is probably better suited to "hi-fi".

A

Anonymous

the ASW 610 does seem like the best option. Though i can get the SW150s for £180! Is the extra £220 pounds worth it? i just dont know!

A

Anonymous

peter26:the ASW 610 does seem like the best option. Though i can get the SW150s for £180! Is the extra £220 pounds worth it? i just dont know!

Yes, it is.

A

Anonymous

Another vote for that Epos here. I think it is hard to better for that price, or even a fair bit more than that price.

A

Anonymous

Well, just to add my thought. i bought an Acoustic Energy sub to go with my home cinema but use it more woth my hifi. It got good reviews in what hifi not too long ago and has an arrary of adjustments on the back (Volume, adjustable crossover, and a few tuning dials to tune to your room shape/size)

Its 200 watts with a healthy 220mm driver.

Im not sure if it would match B&W's but worth a look in. Good deals on new ones on ebay usually.

TRENDING THREADS