help which headphones

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I read the Amazon reviews for any particular headphone. There are a lot of non-audiophiles reviewing there, but most of the time it's easy to weed those out. I start with the one-star reviews and work up to 5-star last. Amazon tries to hide "non-verified" reviews, so you have to find the button to unhide those, and then whatever other button you click, they might hide those again. Anyway, there are enough gems in the Amazon reviews to make it valuable (if the item gets enough reviews), since you don't have to read through hundreds of pages of chat. The 'free' or "Amazon Vine" items are usually identified, but those are a mixed bag too - worth a quick look.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
camcroft said:
Will you be reviewing the new Beyer Byron IEM . I have just got some of the wired version and I am impressed

Probably not. I have to buy them, and getting a loan is hit or miss (mostly miss).

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
camcroft said:
We could pass the hat around *biggrin*

It got more interesting. The more expensive version has a DSP for "sound correction" and the cheaper version does not. Some reviews say that the DSP version also has a lot less sound volume.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I used to use V-Moda XS which are not expensive and give good bass (which is what blacksabbath25 was looking for) though maybe their bigger brother Crossfade M100 would suit better. I know that Dale has reviewed these so would be better informed to advise.

Currently i have B&W P5 which i really like.

Dale - have you tried the B&W P9 Signature ? Most reviews rave about them but for £700 i'd expect something exceptional.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I used to use V-Moda XS which are not expensive and give good bass (which is what blacksabbath25 was looking for) though maybe their bigger brother Crossfade M100 would suit better. I know that Dale has reviewed these so would be better informed to advise.

Currently i have B&W P5 which i really like.

Dale - have you tried the B&W P9 Signature ? Most reviews rave about them but for £700 i'd expect something exceptional.

The P9 is another luxury headphone that looks interesting, but I didn't think the P7 lived up to its price level for sound. So I doubt I'll be seeing a P9 soon. BTW, the v-moda XS is close to neutral (with good bass), but the M100 has a very strong bass and more V-shaped sound overall.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok this is what I've decided to do ...

so far I have brought a new pair of headphones and I did not expect to buy theses but I've brought beats solo 2s luxe in black which cost me £119 which I know is not a great deal of money on headphones and everything I've mentioned I wanted in headphones I've done the opposite .

they are closed back , they sit on the ear where I wanted open back and around the ear but hay

but the reason I brought them was I thought they sounded pretty good on bass attack and the bass is not overkill done like I thought beats were about all bass and nothing else but this is not the case I feel with theses a good full sounding headphone as I did not really want a pair that were boring sounding .

i have only had them 3 hours so far so they should open up a bit more I hope as they do sound pretty good out of the box much better then the Sony headphones my wife got me and I think theses beats are better then Sen 2.0 wired which cost £260 anyway but been playing Metallica new album and theses headphones handle Metallica ok no distortion so far and I've had them cranked up .

plus points with theses is you can change the cable if you wished and quality of the headphones is pretty good for budget headphones ... real leather ear cups very comfortable too leather headband and comes with a travel case when out and about . Theses do not need an amplifier theses will work on iPad , iPhone with ease and has the inline vol control too which works best with apple stuff .

right I have decided to use the beats for when I want to listen to some music in bed so these are perfect for this reason . Then I will get my self some top end headphones for down stairs when I want to listen to the hifi through headphones . But still looking for theses but will update when I find a pair .

insider9

Only proves that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Now that I'm happier than ever with speakers, I've noticed I listen very little via headphones. Keep us informed it'll be an interesting comparison between Beats and whatever you decide for downstairs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The choice in finding perfect headphones is a hard one I feel

its a job finding headphones that do not need a proper headphone amplifier that's any good so when I thought about it buy a pair to use with my iPad or iPhone and then buy a separate pair that needs a amplifier to get the best out of them for down stairs it makes sense .

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
The choice in finding perfect headphones is a hard one I feel

its a job finding headphones that do not need a proper headphone amplifier that's any good so when I thought about it buy a pair to use with my iPad or iPhone and then buy a separate pair that needs a amplifier to get the best out of them for down stairs it makes sense .

Now that I never listen to speakers, preferring the superiority of headphones, I've purchased a few of the Beats as well as other brands. I find the Beats EP to be as good as the Solo2, although the bass may be slightly different. I've bought 3 of the EP's so far from my local Apple store, and given 2 of them away. BTW, the EP is much cheaper than the Solo2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts