Help wanted!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am looking at implementing some form or surround sound into my livingroom and these days that seems to mean a home cinema system. I am not overly fussed about getting a DVD player with this as I am happy to watch movies through my virgin service.

The main reason I want the surround sound system is for playing games on my xbox 360 which was one of the orignal 'core' systems that has component cable and not HDMI - will this make any difference to the systems I should be looking at?

I want something that will cope as I upgrade my TV and virgin service to HD (and possibly get a blueray player) but am not an audiophile and do not have an endless budget - the cheaper the better as long it sounds good - I accept that I will lose some quality by skimping on price but as long as it is not offensive on the ears then that should suffice.

Can anyone suggest what kind of budget I will need for this and any systems that would be worth checking out?Any help/suggestions welcome.

I also have a set of B&W speakers tied into a sony cd player and amplifier and wonder if i can make use of these my surround sound setup by buying additional speakers or would I need a home cinema system to make sure sound comes from the right place?

I'm sure this question highlights my ignorance to all but that is why I am here - to learn form the experts!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there!

Okay, first things first - how important is being future proofed to you? I ask this thinking of the upgrading to Blu-Ray you mention. A decent system that takes full advantage of Blu-Ray will cost you a lot more so really need to know what is your maximum budget for this.

On the other hand, if you're prepared to leave this a few years, I've no doubt you can get something very good which fulfills everything you want now (TV, Virgin, DVD etc.) for £200 - £300. Then in a few years time, I've no doubt a similar system will be available offering the Blu-Ray upgrades.

Finally, do you know what model B&W speakers you have as this will help!

A

Anonymous

Thanks prof.

I will check out the model number for my B&W's and get back to you on that. Probably keen to get something that does everything I need for now and not so fussed re the future proofing.....

£200-£300 sounds good for giving surround for everything I have now, can you suggest a few options I should check out at around this price mark?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for your help so far Prof, you seem to be one of the main contributors to the site and your opinions always look sound to me.

I have found out my system details... old now to say the least and probably weren't brilliant in the first place but suited my budget and sounded good to me - I did look at more expensive systems and speakers but was living at home at the time and bought to make sure I wasn't kicked out of my mums house! I chose the speakers first and once I had chosen the speakers I couldn't really hear much diiference with different other cd players/amps without spending a a whole lot more.

CD player - Sony CDP XB930

AMP - Sony FB930R

Speakers - B&W DM601 S2.

I did also invest in interconnects and speaker cables at the time so there shouldn't be any limitations other than what the sytem can deliver which for my room size and my (non educated!) ears it works a treat.

Can I just get some more speakers and hook these up to my current sytem and get surround or do I need to buy a home cinema system?

If so do you still stand by the LG system as my best bet - iand if so do I just contact a good audio supplier and get a demo in a similar sized room to make sure I like or should I compare it to others or even just bite the bullet and buy?

A

Anonymous

Any word on whether I could use my B&W's as fronts and add to them with others for the rears?

I have been doing some research myself and think this may end up being more expensive than just buying an all in one kit - I think I will need to buy a reciever that can seperate the channels as guess my current set up won't offer that - although to be honest I have no idea.

At the moment I am thinking about the LG that Prof recommended but have also seen the pioneer DCS363 (which can now be found for £160) Is there anything wrong with the pioneer or is it cheap because there is a newer system out/coming out? Which is better value for money, the LG, Pioneer or other (please state which)?

Should I spend more to get the Sony DAV IS10's - will I really notice the difference with my current set up or will I need some HD sources to benefit?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,
Yes, to get your B&Ws into the system I think will need quite a bit more money spending than your current budget to make it worthwhile - you would also need to get an AV amp as well.

Haven't heard the Pioneer, but the Sony is a good step up from the LG and if you can stretch to the £350 - £400 it costs, it would be well worth it in my opinion. Neither the LG nor the Sony accept HD audio, so it's not a case of requiring any HD sources. The Sony is just a better all in one system.

A

Anonymous

Richer souds do a yamaha av amp for £120. The b & w speakers you have are pretty decent and would make good fronts, hunt out the matching centre speaker from the range on ebay (probably about £50) and buy a small pair of bookshelfs/bipolar surrounds either new or on ebay (maybe even same as your b&w on ebay for about £60) and you will have a system for well under £300 that will completely trounce any lg or simular all in one system.

Dont worry to much about sub straight away, i dont use a sub and cinema sound is still fantastic without one, you can add at later stage

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys - that gives me two good avenues to pursue, much appreciated.

I like the idea of getting the matching centre speaker and surrounds second hand as I do like my speakers - would that really sound better than spending £350-£400 on the newer technology in the Sony DAV IS10s? Would I also need to make sure that the rears are the same speaker or will there be a suitable (B&W or other) smaller speakers I could use for the rears?

And I guess the other thing I should test out is just how much better the Sonys are than the LG and the Pioneer systems to see if I should rule out the cheaper systems or not. I can't believe how cheap the Pioneer system is and there has been some high praise for it around.

I will check out the prices of second hand speakers on ebay and elsewhere - is that yamaha at richer sounds a good av amp for the money - will it really outperform an all in 1 system and are there any other av amps in that price range that people could recommned or would I do better to source a second hand amp too?

The only problem with second hand is I will be buying on faith rather than after a demo....
emotion-40.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, your last comment is the main reason I never recommend buying second hand on these forums - it's good for some people, but if you have no idea what it's going to sound like, it can lead to a very expensive mistake. Definitely demo the other systems and you could ask Richer Sounds if you can demo their Yamaha amp (though I gather they don't have proper listening rooms so not sure how effective this will be).

The other option is to phone round local independent dealers and see if they do second hand goods. You get the best of both worlds in a way then as, although they won't be as cheap as you could possibly pick them up on ebay, at least you can demo them with your existing set up first before you buy.

A

Anonymous

The system i mentioned or something simular will definatly stamp over most 1 box solutions, you will get much more clout and presence and decent stereo performance from your speakers. I wouldnt worry to much about demoing an av receiver at this price level, its a pretty safe bet that a dedicated full size receiver from yamaha will out perform a slim style 1 box receiver.

I also wouldnt worry about the technology front, the yamaha will do everything the majority of one boxes will, dolby 5.1 is dolby 5.1 at the end of the day, unless you are willing to spend a bit more (onkyo 605 for example) to get the new hi def audio decoding, not much has changed

also most small bookshelf speakers will do for the rear, if you can find something from b&w (maybe the same as your current one) it would be nice but not essential. The surround speakers are the least important to match into your system.

A

Anonymous

Things are hopefully moving forward now, I am looking for at 2nd hand centre speakers as a first... once once I have one that matches my fronts I will jump in on an AV amp to suit too.

I can't go for the new B&W range as the total cost will just be too high but the good news is that there is a CC6 in good condition on ebay which I am watching, its opened at £50 so heres hoping it doesn't go up too much in value or I will have to go back to the drawing board.

The biggest drawback though is that once I have my centre and the av amp I will probably have to wait it out to get my rears. Will I have to wait until I get my rears to even turn on the av amp and centre speaker if I don't want to make everything I watch unlistenable (real word?) to or will I just not gain the full effect by not having the rears?

As always any advice appreciated.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts