Help upgradeing from Yamaha A/V to amplifier

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

I would lile to upgrade from the A/V receiver, Yamaha RX-V 485, to an amplifier/integrated amp that can delliver better sound quality to my Golden Ear AON 2 speakers.
Some time ago, I made the mistake buying av receiver just for audition. I wated to have all kind of in, out ports :(
I*m useing Foobar2000 on a laptop to stream my flacs to the receiver, via wi-fi router (upnp server).
I understood that the speakers are more capable then the sound that the receiver can delliver and I would lile to receive some advices regarding a amp/integrated amp.

Golden Ear AON 2 desxription:

Two-way, stand-mounted loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1.06" by 1.31" High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) tweeter, 6" polypropylene-cone woofer, two 6.5" side-mounted planar passive radiators. Measured crossover frequency: 3.5kHz. Frequency range: 42Hz–35kHz. Sensitivity: 89dB. Nominal impedance: compatible with 8 ohms. Recommended amplification: 10-200Wpc.

Thank you for yor time amd amiability.

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
It rather depends on a number of factors, as you may already know. Sub-£1000 there are a few good amplifiers available that may suit, such as the Cambridge CXA61,which has a good number of inputs and has been well received, (retails at around £750 I think) and available from Richer Sounds. At £1000 and above the world really begins to open up for you. My advice would be to set a budget and speak to a few dealers to audition a few amplifiers within your chosen price range and take it from there. You may be surprised by the range of good products available at relatively low cost. as you venture into more esoteric lands, the range and types of amplification expand enormously and your pocket generally has to as well, but at this level you really ought to be auditioning before purchase.

Reactions: nopiano

abacus

Unless you go really high end, (Expensive) how the amp handles the connected speaker (which determines how the combination will sound) can only be determined by listening, so get yourself off to a dealer and try some out.

Bill

Reactions: shadders

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Definitely I'll pay a visit to a local dealer for an audition! I'll not just buy one from internet as I was initially thinking. And thank you for the Cambridge recommendation. I'll look for specifications and compare to other producs as well.
Thank you guys!

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I would highly recommend the Quad Vena 2 (either Play or non) versions. Plenty of features and inputs, especially the Play version. Fairly small and tidy too. Don't be put off by the 45 Watts power, it has plenty of oomph and sounds lovely.

Reactions: Tinman1952

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Almost any entry level integrated stereo amp from Marantz, Rotel, Yamaha or NAD will sound much better. - thank you for making it very clear for me, Tinam.

I was in a rush when i bought the audio/video receiver and I knew it that it will be used exclusively for listening to music. About the connections, I need to be able to play my flacs from laptop and maybe connect an old turntable if I'll be able to get it fixed (it has just a sentimental value).
It's the first time when i hear about Quad Vena 2, but I'll see if can find one localy to listen to it!

Thank you guys!

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Almost any entry level integrated stereo amp from Marantz, Rotel, Yamaha or NAD will sound much better. - thank you for making it very clear for me, Tinam.

I was in a rush when i bought the audio/video receiver and I knew it that it will be used exclusively for listening to music. About the connections, I need to be able to play my flacs from laptop and maybe connect an old turntable if I'll be able to get it fixed (it has just a sentimental value).
It's the first time when i hear about Quad Vena 2, but I'll see if can find one localy to listen to it!

Thank you guys!
So, did you get a new amp?

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Not yet. I was thinking to get the yamaha a-s801, but i went to vacancion. In the mean time I found a guy in my city that is dealing with vintage stereo and speakers and he invited me for some auditions. He told that even a modest system can sound good, better then a very expasive one if its properly configurated, based on the room square, windows, composition of the walls. I'll come back from vacation next week and I,ll pay him a visit before makeimg the final decision.
I,ll post in here what I will get and if I"ll hear the expected change in sound quality.
Thank you for asking me!

RayP

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
@enthusiast_cityzen , last year I grew disillusioned with the sound from my Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010 with my 20 year-old B&W CM4 loudspeakers. The AVR was £2K ten years ago and the speakers £900 20 years ago.

The bass was very lacking for floorstanders and I’d read that even very good AVRs cannot match a decent integrated amp. I ended up buying a Naim XS3 (£2.2K) which transformed the sound. Total grip on the music and bass that goes very deep. In short, I had my hi-fi system back.

Good luck with your demos. Hope you find something you like.

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello. Thank you for your opinions and thoughts. I finally bought something. I wanted the Yamaha A-S801, because I could buy it from a local store. They couldn't get it from the Yamaha dealer and because I listened to Yamaha R-N803D in France I decided to go for it. I think that just an amplifier would sound much better then this streamer.
I can say that I'm very well impressed about the musicality of this device comparably to the Yamaha A/V receiver. For music audition is a huge difference! The instruments, the voice can be hear more clearly, they are distinct and sound comes from different positions. I'm not sure if I can explain it very well. But from the AV receiver the hi, med, lows they tended to be equalized and sounded that the sound was recorded with a single microphone. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't think that the difference between a A/V receiver and streamer / integrated amp (not sure if it's really an amp R-N803D) would be so visible (audible :)!

I would have another question, please. The 803D has an option to calibrate the sound from speaker and sub-woofer with a small microphone (yamaha YAMPO function). The sub is a bit harsh, vibrate in some conditions. On what level should I put the Low Pass Crossover and Subwoofer Level to have it work more soft?

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Tinman1952

Hello. Thank you for your opinions and thoughts. I finally bought something. I wanted the Yamaha A-S801, because I could buy it from a local store. They couldn't get it from the Yamaha dealer and because I listened to Yamaha R-N803D in France I decided to go for it. I think that just an amplifier would sound much better then this streamer.
I can say that I'm very well impressed about the musicality of this device comparably to the Yamaha A/V receiver. For music audition is a huge difference! The instruments, the voice can be hear more clearly, they are distinct and sound comes from different positions. I'm not sure if I can explain it very well. But from the AV receiver the hi, med, lows they tended to be equalized and sounded that the sound was recorded with a single microphone. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't think that the difference between a A/V receiver and streamer / integrated amp (not sure if it's really an amp R-N803D) would be so visible (audible :)!

I would have another question, please. The 803D has an option to calibrate the sound from speaker and sub-woofer with a small microphone (yamaha YAMPO function). The sub is a bit harsh, vibrate in some conditions. On what level should I put the Low Pass Crossover and Subwoofer Level to have it work more soft?
Congratulations! The RN803D is a nice bit of kit 🙂
With respect to the sub sounding harsh and vibrating…..do you mean when calibrating? If so that is quite normal. It sends quite a loud sound level initially. It should be ok when actually playing music but you really have to adjust this to your taste in the sub settings. You shouldn’t really ‘hear’ the sub as a separate item when playing music.
As for crossover setting I would set it to 80Hz initially. 👍

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I set the crossover to 80 and I'm changing the volume to low/very low based on the song because I find it to strong.

Thank you again for all advises ! I'm very very satisfied with the new sound improvement.

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I made this speakers stand for the GoldenEar BRX and I wanted to share them.
The issue with the BRX is that the base of the speaker is trapezoidal, with a large and small rounded base, but also rounded at the corners.
The top plate is MDF and was catted with a CNC machine and the middle of the leg is painted christmas tree.
I can put sand in the middle of the lag and maybe the bottom plate should be thicker. And some spikes would be nice to have.

Attachments

• stativ_boxe_raft_01.jpg
    stativ_boxe_raft_01.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 8
  • stativ_boxe_raft_02.jpg
    stativ_boxe_raft_02.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
  • stativ_boxe_raft_03.jpg
    stativ_boxe_raft_03.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
  • stativ_boxe_raft_04.jpg
    stativ_boxe_raft_04.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 7

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hello guys,

After listening for some time to Yamaha RN 803D I would like to come up with an opinion and share it with you.
I paired up the RN 803D with golden ear BRX and I was pretty much impressed by the difference in musicality compared with and AV receiver. I had the chance to listen also the Yamaha AX 900 that's beside his age is still a small beast in my opinion. Only listening to it I could realize what a pure amp is. But here comes the big problem. The RN 803D and AX 900 sound is extremely bright.
I could not listen the Agnes Obel "Philarmonics", especially the first track "Falling, Catching"

View: https://open.spotify.com/track/2YZ9CwBoHQ78zyLcJwYS2C?si=702a40ba9c294f04

The sound is way to bright. It's like the speakers are screaming. They are not listenable. I was very disappointing by the Yamaha, especially by their slogan "Natural Sound". I would name it "Jap" sound.
I used a CD with this singer and also the Tidal service. I connected the RN 803D to the AX 900. The treble and bass works much smoother and with much more effect on the AX comparably to RN.

After that I was able to get and Audiolab amplifier (5-10 years old model, sorry I can't remember the model) and everything changed. Having the Yamaha RN 803D connected to the Audiolab the mid lows and mid highs sounded totally different. More detailed, mid highs were not that strident and I got also more bass. I can say that I totally enjoyed the Audiolab sound and I curios if a Cambridge sounds similar and if this what people call British sound.
The RN 803D is not bad at all, but after listening, making some parallel listenings with the Audiolab I can say that a UK manufacturer would be my next purchase (even if I don't know when that will be).

And another thing that disappointed me a lot, was the seller of the yamaha rn 803D that told me that instead of buying a 2k euro amp (upgradeing the yamaha RN 803D), I should buy a 2k euro power cable. What I find it to be a big scam.
For now I'll just enjoy Nina Simone, Dire Straights, Vangelis, Angelo Badalamenti, Dave Gahan, Joan Baez, Dead Can Dance, Tangerine Dream and not engage the mirage of perfect sound. It's much more that we could afford and find in stores, when I was young, and I think I'll be able to make a more pertinent opinion by exploiting to the max of what I have.
Another idea that came to me is that I should attend Montreux Jazz Festival instead of switching equipment's :)

Kind regards!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts