Help Required Novice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi hope someone can give me some advice. I have decided to upgrade my equipment in the lounge, having previously had a one system cinema system I have gone for seperates. I have purchased the Onkyo SR605 , Monitor Audio RS5 front and rear speakers with centre speaker and RS W12 sub, SKY Hd box and blu ray player to be decided, going on What HI Fi Sony Playstation seems the option, ( I do not do gaming ) TV I have only hever had LCD but I am going for a plasma Panasonic 42PZ70 or Pioneer PDP428XD.

Question how should i link all this up ? would it be HDMI from sky box to TV and HDMI from Blu ray to tv ? and link amp to equipment some how ?

I have no idea what would be best and I do not want to buy in approriate cables and or link it all up the wrong way etc. a discription of what to do and cables to buy would be fantastic, comments about the TV and blu ray would also be greatly apprecaited.I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Andy

A

Anonymous

I think the most tidy way would be to run both the sky box and blu ray player into the onkyo amp.

Then use another hdmi to your TV source and walaaaaaaaaaa

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, HDMI from Sky and PS3 to the amp, and then one HDMI from the amp to the TV will be tidiest option and best for sound on the PS3. However, you'll also want to hook an optical cable from the Sky box to the amp as this will give you 5.1 sound (when available). HDMI will only give you stereo.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou for your advice, can i ask re the optical cable, and HDMI only giving stero sound, is that the same for all applications or is it just so for the sky box ? would i not have to do the same for the blu ray player i decide to buy ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No, it's just the Sky box (at the moment anyway - whether they'll change this in future via firmware or indeed, if they even can change this I'm not sure). In virtually all cases, the Blu-Ray player only needs the HDMI lead and this will send the lovely HD sounds to your amp.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh, on your choice of Blu-Ray players, check out the May issue of WHF - I believe there is a feature pitting them all against each other this month (I haven't gone to the shop to pick up my copy yet!).

A

Anonymous

Thankyou very much for your advice. Will go and buy Mays issue.

Must say I have just spent some time reading the various threads. Glad i did as have not brought TV and found out that Panny have their new range out, so looks like going for the 42 PZ85B

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts