Help - pre-amp recommendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any recommendations to partner with Roksan Caspian Mono Power amps? Happy to spend up to £500 on secondhand.

Anyone tried the Roksan Caspian Pre? Obviously I have a bit of a liking for their gear given my current system.

Any others I should have a look for/audition? I listen to mostly rock and metal, so want something with good dynamics.

I have heard people say that next to speakers the pre-amp makes the biggest difference in a system, so I obviously want to get the choice right!

TIA

A

Anonymous

No-one got any audition suggestions?

I have been sugested trying a Croft valve preamp. So I might have a look at those at some point. Not sure what to expect from a valve pre coupled with S/S power amps and the sort of music I like to listen to...but only an audition will tell me.

Interested in other suggestions....

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought that you need to spend considerably more than £500 to better your Kandy Integrated acting as a pre-amp, even if you bought second-hand.

I do agree that the pre-amp has a massive influence on the overall quality of the system however.

A

Anonymous

Thanks :) The budget is (as always) stretchable if I wanted.

I am just interested really. I might keep an eye out for a second hand Caspian Pre - looks like WHF gave them a good review. Really I am interested in seeing what else I should audition. I picked the Caspian monoblocs up for real bargain price, otherwise I wouldnt have even bothered going pre/power over integrated....

Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with my current system and I love its sound. It's just the upgraditis bug biting :)

A

Anonymous

I have just changed my turntable to the Radius, and its much better than my original. I might play around rebuilding and rewiring the arm at some point in the future. Its running a 2M Black cartridge and sounds excellent to my ears.

I much prefer to buy stuff secondhand just because I can't afford to buy it new. Would a DAC really make that much difference compared to a better preamp?

I dont have anything to compare the preamp in my Kandy to, so it might be plenty good enough, but I am always interested in a jump in quality for not too much outlay after selling my current amp. Just seems a shame to be using a fantastic interated as just a preamp really. I could probably stretch to around £700 SH...which I reckon should either get me a used Caspian preamp, Croft Micro R25 or Bel Canto e.One. Only downside of the Bel Canto is it only comes in silver which would stand out like a sore thumb in my black system.

A

Anonymous

Well I just commited to buy a recently serviced Audio Note Signature M2 phono preamp to audition and collect next weekend....its secondhand, but there's no way I could afford a new one.

Will be an interesting comparison of the M2 pre and Caspian monoblocs to the Roksan Integrated. Hopefully it will be money well spent...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts