Help please - wireless speakers for TV

A

Anonymous

Can someone help - I want to run a couple of wireless speakers off my TV that I can position the other side of the room from where my TV is. The idea being that I can have speakers closer to where we sit to watch. We don't want a full home cinema system as we want to keep the volume down to avoid disturbing others in the house. What are the options?

Many thanks.

John Duncan

Hi there, and welcome. You might need to define 'wireless' since it's unlikely that anything will be completely without wires - any solution that avoids long speaker cables will probably need power for each speaker, for example.

What other equipment do you have - just the TV? If so, what is it?

Lastly, whilst I think I get what you're trying to do, I personally would find it quite odd having the sound close to me rather than coming from the telly...

Oh and, lastly lastly, how much money have you got to spend?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, John, for your response. The main need for wireless is not having wires across the room from the TV to the speakers. I've got power sockets near to where I want the speakers - so that's not a problem. I have a Panasonic TV (TX32LZD85) linked up to Sky HD, DVD player, etc. The main problem I'm trying to overcome is not disturbing my daughter (who sleeps in the room above the lounge) with the sound of the TV - so the idea is to have a couple of speakers nearer to the sofa to cut the distance from the sound source. I don't want to stop the sound from the TV - just add to it.... hopefully that makes sense!

For spend - I was thinking of something up to £200. I've seen the Panasonic SC-HTB550 for £250-ish but not sure that would be the right solution to my needs (split sound bar close to TV with wireless sub-woofer...?)

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Another thought..... would something like the Bose Solo be a better option.....?..... as this would project the sound directly into the room instead of bouncing of the wall behind the TV? Not something within £200 budget - but I'd consider spending more if the results were right.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The main issue is getting the sound from the TV wirelessly to these speakers. You're probably going to need to put in an amplifier somewhere near the TV which the TV plugs into, then a separate unit to allow wireless transmission of this to the speakers - I can't think of anything which will do this out of the box. At your price point, you are also going to struggle with a bespoke solution which would do this I think, and this isn't something I'd recommend as it would be very expensive to put in.

Is there any possibility of running a wire around the room e.g. around the walls, or even under the carpet around the wall? If so, it offers you the potential of running a long standard RCA phono lead out of the TV and into a powered speaker (something like the Audioengine A2s on some small stands would do the job nicely I would think). With this solution, the TV is plugged into one of the speakers, and this speaker is also plugged into the power - a small run of speaker cable then connects this main speaker to the other speaker. This avoids the need for a separate amplifier and keeps things neat, but isn't wireless unfortunately.

If it has to be wireless, I think your only bet at your price point is going to be a home cinema system with wireless speakers - even a cheap 5.1 system with rear wireless speakers would do, as you can put the system into all channel stereo mode, whereby the same sound comes out of all the speakers and you'd therefore get the effect you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I could run a wire from one speaker to another.... but running a wire from the TV across the room wouldn't work. By the sounds of it the options are difficult.... I'm thinking that a sound bar is probably the best option (Bose or the like).

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Easy Tiger said:
I'm thinking that a sound bar is probably the best option (Bose or the like).

I agree less hastle to install & it would also use the least wires, if it's powered, one power cable & one cable from tv to soundbar thats it !!!

The problem is that you want 5 speakers with amplifier, & wireless rear speakers for a limited budget.

Can you stretch to this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Blu-ray-BDVN790-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B007NXA9KS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

A soundbar is a good option. Bose solo is decent as well.

Or wireless headphones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHC5100-05-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B004C03JWU/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As boss suggested, my first thought was a decent set of wireless headphones you will be close to the sound, good effects, immersive and no disturbing your daughter.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Yes, I do mean those. Your ability to have TV sound *and* sound from those will be dependent on your TV's connectivity though - what is it?

I can't speak for soundbars at all, sorry.

TV is a Panasonic TV (TX32LZD85) which has standard RCA phono output according to spec I read earlier so I think this would work okay...

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You are ultimately going to need an amp to connect the speakers to. I would look at some wireless options as BigBoss showed. For what you want to achieve, and to a degree of satisfaction, you will need an amp + speakers. Alternatively get some headphones.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
You are ultimately going to need an amp to connect the speakers to. I would look at some wireless options as BigBoss showed. For what you want to achieve, and to a degree of satisfaction, you will need an amp + speakers. Alternatively get some headphones.

The JBL's are powered speakers, so the amplification is built in. They're exactly the sort of thing I wasn't aware existed in my first post ( :) ) and are perfect for what the OP needs to do.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I will certainly check out the JBLs along with some sound bars to compare and contrast. Really appreciate your thoughts and advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts