Help picking speaker

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of stand mount or floorstander speakers approx £600 top budget to spend. I have spare stands, so they don't need to be included in the budget.

I'm looking for punch & detail, BUT more importantly i want them to be an enjoyable listen with all music, especially 60's R&B, Blues, Soul, Country, Swinging Jazz etc.

I want to avoid boom and thin sounding, high treble speakers - i.e. overly bright

I already have:

Br2's sound great, but just a little bit boxy sounding to be satisfied.

Diamond 10.1's, great again but too small for room.

Diamond 10.5's are very detailed but are awful on the high's in my fair sized room with wooden floor and sparse furnishings.

Where could anyone suggest i try next for the sound i'm after?

I'm pairing up with brand new Marants 6003 CD and Amp.

Thanks for any suggestions

A

Anonymous

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but Dali (for detail+enjoyable) and Dynaudio (for detail+punch) might be worth a listen. I'd be looking at Dali Lektor floorstanders or Dynaudio DM standmounts. You could also try Kef's Q series.

Memphismusic said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of stand mount or floorstander speakers approx £600 top budget to spend. I have spare stands, so they don't need to be included in the budget.

I'm looking for punch & detail, BUT more importantly i want them to be an enjoyable listen with all music, especially 60's R&B, Blues, Soul, Country, Swinging Jazz etc.

I want to avoid boom and thin sounding, high treble speakers - i.e. overly bright

I already have:

Diamond 10.5's are very detailed but are awful on the high's in my fair sized room with wooden floor and sparse furnishings.

Could do a lot worse than trying MA RX2's. Big standmounter with punch and detail... should fit the bill (fingers crossed).

A

Anonymous

Memphismusic said:
Hi,

I already have:

avoid thr MA rx range if you don't want a fatiguing, bright sound (in your room, it's similar to mine, very reflective) i changed from MA rx6's to dynaudio dm 2/7's, and they've been a revelation.

very punchy, crisp but smooth highs, tight tuneful bass, and i can listen to them all day without fatigue, they're not fussy about positioning either.

they're easy to drive too (considering they're 4ohm), your marantz will be fine imo. you should be able to pick up a pair for £500 (haggle :) ), highly reccomended..

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
A set of KEF Q500's would be an option - they work very well with the Marantz set up and with the current promo they will be in budget. If you wish to stick to a bookshelf then the Dali Ikon 1 will give you a sound that will keep you listening. Do you have the opportunity to audition before you buy?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
If you wish to stick to a bookshelf then the Dali Ikon 1 will give you a sound that will keep you listening. Do you have the opportunity to audition before you buy?

True but if your quick you can get a pair of new Dali Ikon 2's in Wenge for £374 including P&P from Sevenoaks here.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Epos-fan for 20 years. No speaker has served me (and still) longer. Mine is Epos ES 11 (1991) but you might try Epos Epic 2 or M12i standmounters, or for 750 GBP the Epic 5. All give: not bright, no boom!

Memphismusic

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks All,

I have been playing about with all 3 speakers i have and it's amazing the difference in the 10.1's and 10.5's.

The 10.1's reduce the harshness and put back the drive, vocals and even the bass!

So it looks like i need a larger speaker for the room that's going to give me that same musicality, vocal delivery and a bit of bang in the delivery as the little 10.1 that looks tiny in my nice square living room.

I can't say they look great, but any opinions on the MX2 or MX5's?

TRENDING THREADS