Help on Headphone setup...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm planning on a major revamp for my headphone rig, I have £2.5k to spend on cans, cd player and headphone amplifier.

I'm thinking Grado GS1000, Cyrus CD8se, Graham Slee Solo.

can anyone recommend anything else I should consider.

Thanks

Gary

A

Anonymous

Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 Headphone amp, with AKG 702 headphones ÿ
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

griffy:Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 Headphone amp, with AKG 702 headphones ÿ
emotion-4.gif

Not in the same league as the GS1000s! I prefer the Sennheiser HD600s to the AKGs - they always seem too bright and lacking in bass depth and they "disect" music too much, if you get me. Great for recording/mastering music, but not for listening casually.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:griffy:Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 Headphone amp, with AKG 702 headphones
emotion-4.gif

Not in the same league as the GS1000s!

In terms of price only!!! Once you get into the price Range of the K702s, Senn 600 & 650s you've hit high end headphones... it comes down to personal preference more than anything else at that point..

Hughes123:I prefer the Sennheiser HD600s
to the AKGs - they always seem too bright and lacking in bass depth and
they "disect" music too much, if you get me. Great for
recording/mastering music, but not for listening casually.

As I mentioned earlier, it comes down to personal preference... a lot of people have tossed the Senn 600 and 650 in favour of the AKG K701... As for bright and bass deficient, I suggest trying them with different headphone amps... system synergy is often key in any HiFi purchase...

A

Anonymous

Ajani:Hughes123:I prefer the Sennheiser HD600s
As I mentioned earlier, it comes down to personal preference... a lot of people have tossed the Senn 600 and 650 in favour of the AKG K701... As for bright and bass deficient, I suggest trying them with different headphone amps... system synergy is often key in any HiFi purchase...

I did use the phrase "I prefer"! Obviously, synergy is the most vital ingredient in a good hi-fi set-up, and I must admit that I did use the AKGs with a Naim headphone amp which hardly reduced the treble, but they usually have a nice amount of bass grip, and it was lacking. I'll try them again on my new system and see how they compare to my Sennys.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Ajani:Hughes123:I prefer the Sennheiser HD600s

I did use the phrase "I prefer"! Obviously, synergy is the most vital ingredient in a good hi-fi set-up, and I must admit that I did use the AKGs with a Naim headphone amp which hardly reduced the treble, but they usually have a nice amount of bass grip, and it was lacking. I'll try them again on my new system and see how they compare to my Sennys.

Naim.... interesting, you're the second person I've come across in the last 2 weeks, who wasn't impressed with that AKG/Naim combo...

AKG K701/Musical Fidelity X-DAC V8 is supposed to be an excellent combo, so it's one you should try if you get a chance... AKG K701/Benchmark DAC1 is not supposed to be a great combo, but I love it so I'd recommend it....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see if you hear any improvement with the AKG/Project combo...

A

Anonymous

Remember the AKG 701/702's need a long time to 'break' in

Its recommended at over 300 hrs!

Out of the box the bass is lacking, and they sound bright. ÿI'm also told the X-Can V8 needs some time to bed in, it has a tube tucked away inside too!ÿ

A

Anonymous

My grandad has the X-CAN along with a Rega Sataurn CD player and the Denon AH-D7000s, and that's about as good as I think I've ever heard music!

A

Anonymous

Gary, check out my reply in your other thread for my input...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts