Help!! Oldie back in the game!

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Hello. I've just registered and this is my first post.

I haven't significantly upgraded my system for many years now.

A house move and a change of room (and dare I say it decor!) require me to think again about my speakers.

To give you an idea, my system is as follows

Linn LP12/Lingo

Linn ITTOCK LV ii arm

Lyra Argo i cartridge (my latest purchase around a year ago)

Audio Research SP9 Pre amp

Musical Fidelity P270 Power amp

(Both of the above are very good friends and I would be loathed to see them go, plus I just can't afford to upgrade)

Van den hull MC Cs 122 speaker cable

And finally,

A pair of KEF 1053 reference series speakers.

I want another pair of florstanders, but I need something much smaller but with a similar performance. The finish is now important too, with an oak look preferred.

These were quite pricey back in the day, so I'm hopeful speaker performance has come on a bit over the last 10 years or so and I can get just as good a performance but at a lower price.

I'm looking at around £2000 (inc cable if poss).

I'm happy to go secondhand too, as I figure that anyone selling very good speakers would have looked after them.

The cable run is going to be around 7 meters per speaker. A long run I know, but that is how my room is laid out.

I can't think of anymore info that you might need, but if there is, just post the question.

I'll try to pop back regulary to see if any of you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance and I hope you can make a returning audiophile very happy!!

Paul Clarke

PS. I live near Cambridge, so am prepared to travel to East Anglia, Midlands and London if necessary.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I would look at some decent speakers,forget the B&W,monitor Audio of this world,and look at Audio physics,Neat Momentums,and a superb out of this world brand I heard the other day called Phonar,absolutely first rate speakers,one of the best midranges Ive ever heard,and build was sublime,made in Germany,excellent.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello,why not just have a spring clean and reset up your system.i have the same front end as you and the rest of your system seems well sorted.if you must have new speakers then i agree with silly and have a look at the neats and audio physics both nice speakers.i have not heard of phonars so i can't comment but silly seems to know his stuff.another make to consider is the totem range.they come in a variety of finishes and are room friendly.if you sell the kefs you just may want an audio research power amp to go with the pre,nice.2nd hand of course.all the best,gregory.

A

Anonymous

be quick or be dead .. there is ashop in london i dont know the name but i know the location its in tottenam court road thy are seling a pair of mordaunt short performance 6 for just under £2000 (tps £3500)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sex"]be quick or be dead .. there is ashop in london i dont know the name but i know the location its in tottenam court road thy are seling a pair of mordaunt short performance 6 for just under £2000 (tps £3500)[/quote]

Think!!! keep thinking mate what is the shop's name.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your help, that's been really useful.

I've had a look at the respective websites, and that has certainly given me food for thought.

I was just wondering what the performance of some of your suggestions would be set against my KEF's?

I also wondered if you had any cable advice?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'd love the Morduant Short speakers,but my wife would kill me

There are two Hi-Fi shops that I'm aware of in Tottenham Court Road

Brians Hi Fi 19 Tottenham Court Road W1T 1BN 020 7631 1109

P N R Audio Vision 28 Tottenham Court Road W1T 1BT 020 7636 7536

Best of luck Paul

Apologies if this all comes out as one, whenever I post it loses all formatting, will hacve to stick to the other online forums methinks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts