Help! New CDP or DAC or system overhaul

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi :wave:

My current "setup" is Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and 640C (Amp & CDP) and Mordaunt-Short MS914. I have had this for a number of years and it is my first and only experience of seperates.... so I'm no audiophile lol.

Recently the CDP stopped working and I was informed that it would probably cost more to fix it than to replace. I was asked if I'd consder a DAC instead of a CDP and being an analyst I set about discovering what that meant.

I have been into Richer Sounds and listened to a CA DacMagic, which i quite liked and then the DacMagic Plus which I liked even more! Having read some reviews I quite like the looks of the Rega DAC, Audiolab MDAC & Music Fidelity M1 DAC.

I guess I am looking for some advice about a route to take. I could just make it simple and get another CDP or maybe new CDP & AMP (Marantz combo?). If going for a DAC I have a blu-ray / DVD player to use as the transport. I doubt I would be using my PC to DAC but guess an element of future proofing would be nice if I went down that route.

I don't want to spend more than circa £600 but will do if I can hear & appreciate the benefit of it.

My music tastes are quite varied but if I were to test some songs they would be

Nina Simone - Don't let me be misundersttod

Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuez

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

IAMX - This will make you love again

I know ultimately I will have to actually listen to this somewhere like Richer Sounds or SevenOaks HiFI but would appreciate some pointers

Many Thanks

John

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
QuickSilver said:
Recently the CDP stopped working and I was informed that it would probably cost more to fix it than to replace. I was asked if I'd consder a DAC instead of a CDP and being an analyst I set about discovering what that meant.

Probably or definitely? It might be worth spending a small amount for it to be tested first. You might be able to get it fixed at a reasonable price. Sometimes the inspection fee is wavered if repair work is carried out.

If you want to try a DAC, see if you can get a home demo, as this will be the most relevant for any reference. The DACMagic Plus is about as good a deal as you are likely to find for its feature set.

mantazu

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have made this step and moved from CDP to DAC system. Now I am listening to my CDs and rediscover the sound once again. Moving from CDP to DAC was the right decition for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts