Help, new amp for dali opticon 6

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, this comes from topic new system to electronic music, I decided to go for the dali's opticom 6. I am curently using the cambride audio cx60 but, will like to listen to other alternatives. Here are the parameters:

-integrated amp with dac inclusive, or either separates with a cost no more of 900£.

-new preferable.

-superfi/richersounds stock preferable as I can listen to the dali's and the amp in stock in those shops available.

-It is stated in people's reviews that, this floorstanders, in particular, enjoy amps with more watts than the CA60.

thanks for any suggestions.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am not being smart, but if the only reason you want to listen is because it's said more watts are better, I'd stop reading about hifi. Certainly more watts can help, but it's not everything. The CA you have is known to be a fine amp. If it does NOT perform to your needs/likes in some way, then state that and a recommendation for an improvement may be recommended to you, otherwise you could just spend heaps of money you don't need to spend

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I've just edited my post, to avoid confusions, like yours. I just will like to know if anyone with Dali's 6 opticon has tried other amps and wich were their impressions, CX60 is great but, that is the only one I heard with it so, maybe some suggestions from previous experiences will be helpful as a guide of what to try.there are so many amps around within this price bracket. Spend 500£ in an amp without listening to others does not look like a wise decision, from my prespective, but I don't want to listen to 20 amps either as I do not have the time too, otherwise I will be listening to the tannoys x6tf instead of been with a smile in my face with my dalis, not posting in this forum questions, this is said without acrimony and I am grateful for the time you spend to post a response.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
As mentioned marantz PM8005

Abrahamsen 2up which you can demo at IQ speakers with Colin , Yamaha A-S 701 , 801 upwards

I had the Dali opticon 6s before upgrading to the Dali opticon 8s and owned both marantz and the abrahamsen 2up when I had the opticon 6s both amps are good but if you really want them speakers to sing I would be looking at a Yamaha amp which I've found to be the perfect match with the opticon speakers .

richer sounds do not have any stock when I was looking at the marantz PM8005 so you could buy one new from harrow audio if they still got them in stock .

richer sounds do some of the Yamaha amps but not all and the abrahamsen 2up with Colin as he is the only person in the U.K. Who import them .

the amp is not really about watts more to do with the power supply and how it handles the bass properly so the 3 amps that I have mentioned are around 75-80 watts but the Dali opticon 6s are a 4ohm speaker so the power of the amp will double .

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Your amp that you have should be fine to run the opticon.just make sure that you have a good balanced speaker wire like the chord clearaway and with the extra cash get a good dac.i had the Arcam a19 with my opticon 6

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Your amp that you have should be fine to run the opticon.just make sure that you have a good balanced speaker wire like the chord clearaway and with the extra cash get a good dac.i had the Arcam a19 with my opticon 6
The improvements the cable would make could start one of those threads, but more seriously, the CA has a built in dac

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Having read, and contributed, to your other thread(s), it is clear that your primary issue is to do with control. Your CXA60 is a reasonable amplifier, not great, but given your requirements and budget, it is hard to see what you can buy that will make a real difference.

So, a real solution. The Antimode dual core is a fully functioned, remote control, dac-preamplifier from BK Electronics (the subwoofer people). It has built in room correction, it's primary claim to fame, and will deal most effectively with your bass control issues. It is not cheap at £680 but it will provide a serious solution, which your other more mainstream solutions will not.

At an inexpensive power amp (maybe BK's own Pear Drop, 90watt 4 ohm) and you have a setup that will work in your room. Upgrade to a better power amp whenever you fancy an upgrade.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
seemorebtts said:
The improvements the cable would make could start one of those threads, but more seriously, the CA has a built in dac
oh yes forget it has a DAC.as for speaker wire I was a bit worried because his amp is a bit forward and the Dali's are forward too so will need something balanced.no threads please just a little worried about his ears

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I assume that will include a DAC, I must say that the matter of the distorsion at the lower ends, tunning the bass and the balance has make a noticiable diference, only in songs tracks with predominant constant low ends, say batman's hans zimmer played loud it is notiable. The cx80 has improved this aswell, without tunning. I am looking more to find something wich could show a bit more transparency and space between instruments,as I think they might do a better performance with the treble and vocals.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It's not just about what Dac you need it's about what amp you choose to match the Dali opticon speakers

marantz has no built in dac the only amp I know that has is a Hegel amp

if you really want the very best out of Dali opticon you need to buy a good amp to start with to push the quality out of the opticon speakers

if you want space between instruments then you need a quality amp to start with it's up to you what you do but spending £1200 on a pair speakers just to pair them with a rubbish amp makes no sense to me .

If you really want to see what the opticon are capable of then you need something like the abrahamsen 2up , Yamaha A-S 701 , 801 , 2100 then you will see what I am talking about .

roksan caspian M2 is something you can demo at richer sounds...... go there and ask for a demo with opticon 6s and the roksan M2 and the matching cdplayer this will show you what the opticon are capable off .

The marantz PM8005 is a good amp for the money but it's not that great at controlling the bass and there is not much space between instruments .

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
donGarcia said:
I assume that will include a DAC, I must say that the matter of the distorsion at the lower ends, tunning the bass and the balance has make a noticiable diference, only in songs tracks with predominant constant low ends, say batman's hans zimmer played loud it is notiable. The cx80 has improved this aswell, without tunning. I am looking more to find something wich could show a bit more transparency and space between instruments,as I think they might do a better performance with the treble and vocals.
Arcam a19

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you, still, using the cx60 with 4 diferent floorstanders and 1 standmount, the dali's where much better than the rest. So that tells me that the speakers are the main component to improve and where to spend the most of your money. Now, the s-a701 costs 399£ that is in richersounds, so it is 100£ less than the Ca and has got a dac inside with 100w. Sounds like a bargain.

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, thought about it as I used to have it with my bx2's and ca dac magic 100, will need a quality dac also. I had it and sounds good but, for me it is flat or dull sound, but I apreciate that for listen to cd's for an hour or an opera it will be better as it is very well balanced and smooth.

Thanks for the suggestion

donGarcia

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Tried Rega Elex R at home with dac magic plus, 1250£ total, not the best Dac, obviously.inprovement yes, bass is agile and everything has got more space to breath but, a minor effect taking in cosideration the price. In the other hand the difference between the speakers I tried and the opticons is huge.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
donGarcia said:
Thanks, thought about it as I used to have it with my bx2's and ca dac magic 100, will need a quality dac also. I had it and sounds good but, for me it is flat or dull sound, but I apreciate that for listen to cd's for an hour or an opera it will be better as it is very well balanced and smooth.

Thanks for the suggestion
I would recommend the primare i22 amp its very fast and has lots of detail and you can have a DAC fitted into it but it wouldn't be a good match with opticon's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts