Help needed!

johnnyr1970

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Until recently my system consisted of a Sonos ZP90 fed by a Netgear NAS through a MF X-DAC V3 and MF X-PSU into a Creek Evolution amplifier and output through a pair of Castle Knight 1 loudspeakers. I had for some time been pondering replacing the MF kit by upgrading to one of the more flexible DACs that are now available - this pondering was thrown into disarray when, for my 40th birthday, my partner surprised me with the final piece in that MF jigsaw - an X-10 V3 tube buffer which she'd sourced from Ebay at a not inconsiderable cost!

As you can imagine I'm now kind of stuck with all the MF kit - or am I? Could any benefit still be gained by replacing the DAC, perhaps with something from Rega, Arcam or even a newer MF and then still letting the X-10V3 work it's valve magic on the signal prior to it going to the amp? Another potential option would be to send the X-10 V3 to MF and put it through their 'Fine Tuning' upgrade service, however I don't know of anyone who has chosen this path so am unsure of the potential benefits to be gained from the near £200 investment required.

I know people will be tempted to say "No, get rid of all the MF kit and buy the Rega DAC" but am sure you'll appreciate that it's going to be very difficult for me to do that for at least a couple of years! I've a budget of around £500 for the right suggestion - hope someone can help resolve this potential family crisis!

A

Anonymous

I'd personally recommend the MF M1 dac with the X-10v3 between the amp and dac :) .

johnnyr1970

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I had been pondering that - safe to assume you've heard the M1 and that it's a step up from the X-DAC V3? I'd guess the answer is yes given that the X10 is a bit of a veteran these days (although I bet I'll get good money for it on Ebay)

johnnyr1970

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I had been pondering that - safe to assume you've heard the M1 and that it's a step up from the X-DAC V3? I'd guess the answer is yes given that the X10 is a bit of a veteran these days (although I bet I'll get good money for it on Ebay)

A

Anonymous

johnnyr1970 said:

I have heard them both, yeah. The M1 DAC and the Rega DAC are both very much a 'new generation' of DAC, performance/cost wise.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the X-24K and the X-DACv3, so I feel that the M1 DAC is a good step up.

I may have missed it in the post, but what are you trying to gain from this upgrade exactly?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts