Help needed with 2.1 Home Cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so please take it easy. I'm looking for a way of improving the sound of my TV as I'm finding it hard to hear. I've searched high and low on the web for decent 2.1 systems, only seemed to come up with the Onkyo HTX22HDX - however I don't know this would work well with my setup as I want the bass unit to be hidden away and placed around 2 meters from my TV unit (wouldn't be great to run long HDMI's and not ideal for the remote of the Onkyo).

I need something with small speakers, I do have a Marantz PM6003 with currently has a set of Bose 301's on, which I could potentially use if needed? Would a set of those Cambridge audio Minx speakers work with this?

I also looked at getting a set of Bowers MM1's and plugging them into the headphone / phono output from the TV? Would this be good?

Setup - TV, PS3, Sky HD. I don't fancy a 5.1 system. Budget around £400. Mainly used for general TV watching and playing PS3, occasional film.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Chris & welcome to the forum.

chriswoodrocks said:
I'm a bit of a newbie here, so please take it easy. I'm looking for a way of improving the sound of my TV as I'm finding it hard to hear. I've searched high and low on the web for decent 2.1 systems, only seemed to come up with the Onkyo HTX22HDX - however I don't know this would work well with my setup as I want the bass unit to be hidden away and placed around 2 meters from my TV unit (wouldn't be great to run long HDMI's and not ideal for the remote of the Onkyo).

I need something with small speakers, I do have a Marantz PM6003 with currently has a set of Bose 301's on, which I could potentially use if needed? Would a set of those Cambridge audio Minx speakers work with this?

I also looked at getting a set of Bowers MM1's and plugging them into the headphone / phono output from the TV? Would this be good?

Setup - TV, PS3, Sky HD. I don't fancy a 5.1 system. Budget around £400. Mainly used for general TV watching and playing PS3, occasional film.

IMO The Bowers MM1's really would depend on the size of your room & distance from the speakers in your listening area. Alternatively just use your exsisting Bose speakers they should sound fine with your TV connected to your amp.

Or another option, ( curve ball ) I know this isn't 2.1 sound, but as a possible solution to your hearing the TV & you dont want to run long lengths of HDMI leads, have you considered a soundbar as a viable alternative? You can get a Yamaha YHTS400 for less than £400 it has 3 HDMI inputs, 1 out & is slimline at just 50mm high, this does come with a subwoofer, but may be too big for you.

Regards .. Paul

A

Anonymous

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion and the warm welcome. I did have a look at Soundbars, however, I've always preferred the look and sound of separate speakers. It's not a particularly large room, say 16ft x 16ft and I'd be around 8ft away from the screen at most - dunno if the MM1's would work?

I had a look at using my existing amp and speakers, however, the 301's are large bookshelf speakers and unfortunately space is at a premium, which is why I was after something a little more discreet and to try and keep the two systems separated if possible as the 301's are my dedicated music system.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I've just bought the Q Acoustics QTV2 system for my TV (strictly it's the QTV2X model as my screen is 42"). It's a 2.1 system that attaches to the mounting points for wall mounting you TV and the subwoofer is hidden behind the screen. It then has two slim satellites that peek out either side of the screen. Fitted in about 15mins, and the sound quality is rather excellent. Decent bass and nice clear treble, and all homogeneously blended together, if that makes sense! Cost is about £300. Definitley worth checking out. I'm very happy with mine :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts