Help needed following a disappointing demo!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Need some help and advice.

I have a just come back from a demo of floorstanders B & W 684's, CM7 and Epos M22i. I have an Arcam DV79, PS3, Yamaha RXv 3900 and B & W MT30 speaker package.

Since upgrading to the Yamaha receiver from an Arcam AVR 250 I have been very happy with the improvement in the sound for both movies and music. But have been bitten by the upgrade bug and was after a pair of floorstanders to improve my stereo music listening experience.

So had a demo arranged today using a Arcam cd player and the Yamaha RXV3900 with the above mentioned speakers. The sound with R & B and classical was great but with rock was very very flat. Was left extremely dissapointed.

I wonder what my options are, I know the best thing to do is to get a dedicated stereo amp for music (which I could bi amp? the speakers). I would be grateful for any input. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Why not have a listen to the monitor audio RX6's & RX8's, i believe these will pair up better with the yamaha.

A

Anonymous

ear:do you find it sounds better with the MT30?

Yes it does. More punchy and energetic but somethings still missing hence the demo of the floorstanders.

A

Anonymous

THESTIG08:Why not have a listen to the monitor audio RX6's & RX8's, i believe these will pair up better with the yamaha.

Yes. My thoughts exactly as I've heard their very good but was wanting some input from forum members as I've found this place a great resource. Thanks for replying btw.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Rx6 balanced good speakers, not tyring at all.but best connected to a stereo amp. Guess you should go that route

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
DrEye:

I have a just come back from a demo

Find a dealer who will let you dem at home,then start again.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:DrEye:

I have a just come back from a demo

Find a dealer who will let you dem at home,then start again.
emotion-2.gif

Yes another thing I've been toying with. Also considering the MS Mezzo 8 as reviews say its quite bright and energetic. Will try and find a dealer for home demo though.

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm guessing that you're just not keen on the sound of B&W floorstanders. Trying the MA RX series isn't going to get you much further I suspect, as these are more laid back the B&W's. Try some more different manufacturers out, and try some standmounts as well if more floorstanders disappoint.

Also, don't get speakers that are too expensive - an AV amp won't drive a speaker as well as a good 2 channel amplifier. I think your top end limit is going to be about £700/800 before you start losing the benefits of the capabilies of the speaker.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I'm guessing that you're just not keen on the sound of B&W floorstanders. Trying the MA RX series isn't going to get you much further I suspect, as these are more laid back the B&W's. Try some more different manufacturers out, and try some standmounts as well if more floorstanders disappoint.

Also, don't get speakers that are too expensive - an AV amp won't drive a speaker as well as a good 2 channel amplifier. I think your top end limit is going to be about £700/800 before you start losing the benefits of the capabilies of the speaker.

Thanks for that David. Do you have any suggestions? I had B & W 603 S2s driven by an arcam avr 250 in the past as part of a full B & W HT set up and was really happy with it but the current generation of speakers sound flat with my RXV3900. Standmounts are out of the question due to a little abby boy!

A

Anonymous

I think I might get a stereo amp and connect it to the preouts of the Yamaha RXV 3900 and let it run the Front R and L. But then I have to demo amps and speakers all over again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts