Help me spend £100 ish on headphones! Please

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
For the first time in my life I've decided I'd like some decent cans and the mrs has allowed me £100 for a Xmas present but I've got no idea. My tastes are metal, rock and a bit of soul. The only ideas I have got are Grado sr80 and audio technica adh700??. I want over ear ideally but may not too fussed whether they are open or closed.

Someone please help. :)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I own Grado SR80i and I've yet to hear a better sounding headphone at the price point, that said they are not without their downsides. They leak sound like a MF and as such I never use mine on public transport becasue I'm not a n antisocial ****. The cable can get quite twisted which is a minor annoyance and after an hour they are a little uncomfortable. If you can live with the downsides they are well worth it because where it counts they deliver. Neutral, natural and detailed.

Rick1979 said:
For the first time in my life I've decided I'd like some decent cans and the mrs has allowed me £100 for a Xmas present but I've got no idea. My tastes are metal, rock and a bit of soul. The only ideas I have got are Grado sr80 and audio technica adh700??. I want over ear ideally but may not too fussed whether they are open or closed.

Someone please help. :)

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2397-goldring-ns1000-noise-cancelling-portable-headphones.aspx?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

matthewpiano

My favourite cans are the Beyer Dyanmic DT770 PRO (250 Ohm version). I've got a few pairs of good headphones but the Beyers are detailed, involving and dynamic and their closed back design means they keep more external sound out and leak less sound into the room. Fabulous product.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had Goldrings. They were not the noise cancelling ones but I believe they follow the same sound signature which is detailed, upfront with hardly a soundstage to speak of and somewhat clinical ... subjectively speaking. Oddly enough, I didn't think so until I got some Creative Aurvana's which showed up all the shortcomings of the Goldring. Worse, they clamped my pretty head like a vice and caused many a bad hair day. - Try before you buy.

regards

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Rick

Headphone.com has a lot of really useful info on all types of phones, and even though they sell them on the site they are still pretty balanced (partic if you can read between the lines a bit).

I used to have Grado 60's a long time ago and still remember them fondly. So the 80's should be even better, and well suited to your choice in music. The only issue I had was getting them comfy on my rather large head. In the end I bravely / foolishly bent the main bar outwards quite a bit and bingo, they were comfy. Albeit looked slightly daft / damaged when not in use. In the end I just wore them out with use.

I'm a Sennheiser user in the main now, with both 650's and PX-200's, the former being outside your budget, the latter about £50 so well within. Have to say I use the 200's a lot, maybe you could save some money to spend on a separate headphone amp (if needed)?

Whatever you go for £100 should give you a pretty decent sound. Have fun!

Edit - Drummerman;bad hair day? But your flowing locks look so lovely!

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I've just recently bought some Audio Technica ES7s (£130) as an alternative to Grado etc.

Excellent detailed sound, get a little warm and a little uncomfortable after long use but the sound's worth it. They really require ALAC from my iPod Classic, Spotify 320kbps and even lossless on the iPhone doesn't really do them justice. They're that good!

Very light on the head (aluminium enclosures) and closed-back so they can double as a (slightly bulky) portable pair should you need to.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. Had a listen to a customers sennheiser hd558 today, what can I say but wow! Definitely the one for me and so comfortable.

Thanks again everyone.

Rick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts