Help me im a novice Sony- KEF set up

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all im new to the forum and would like some help Please...

I love my surround sound but I'm not sure if I'm getting the best from it. I'm a bit of a novice that wants to learn more. I have a Samsung LE40F86BD TV, Sony STR-DN1000 amp, KEF KHT1005.2 speaker pakage and 1 x IXOS hdmi and a Chord Company Supershild hdmi (that I got with my subscription to What Hifi). Here's a couple of questions I hope some one can answer, first of all "is this set up something i can be proud of?", "should I buy another super shield hdmi cable?", "how can I get the best from my sub I can't seem to get it right, EQ PHASE AND CROSSOVER what do I need to do with these" and any more advice you think may be useful to me, many thanks.

Dean

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Not entirely sure

What are the options you have for PHASE and EQ? Are you sure theye relevant to the actual sub?

Crossover should be set to whatever the lowest point your speakers get to

Even KEFs site doesnt explain what the monitors lowest range is so id say set it to about 80Hz for now. Keep playing bassy music and move it up and down to try and find the point it sounds 'right' (basically, once the monitor starts to 'roll off' the bass (The point at which is cant go lower), thats when the sub should kick in)

A

Anonymous

Phase is set to 0 or 180. You should try it at 0 normally unless you have a huge room. 180 can give more output level when the sub is far away from the speakers.

EQ is bass boost. This is really a preference thing, use it on the middle of the 3 settings until you're happy with everything else then try it it on the other two to see if you like the difference.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dean,

I too have a Sony STR-DN1000 and although i now use it with Jamos i also have a set of KEF's.

What i did was this:

I set 'crossover' to about 80hz ( Dial on mine is 40 to 125hz).

Next play something with a strong beat and adjust the 'input dial' so that the sub does not stand out from the speakers but instead seems to 'tie' in with them.

Next run a THX set up disc (any Star Wars) and run the crossover test for the sub. This means that when the bass changes from the small sats to the sub there is one continuous 'clean' sound. You will most likely run this test a few times adjusting the crossover until you can no longer distinguish the sub as a seperate speaker. You may also need to adjust the Phase and input level to keep the Sub from booming.

You will find the dial quite low when you finish. If you cannot get the levels down then turn the dials back up and run 'auto set up' on the Sony. Setting them high to start (not too high mind!) will give you more range for adjustment.

You should also be proud of your system. I got a set of Jamo's based on reviews i was expecting a better sound than my KEF's. Not entirely true. I like the bigger centre speaker and the sub synchs in very well but the KEF's were more 'accurate and articulate', with a wider soundstage and better integration. Your Sony amp like mine delivers a focused accurate sound that must compromise the KEF's extremely well.

Enjoy and let me know how you got on.

Best Wishes,

Cookie Monster

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
dirtydean:Sorry only just found how to read posts and will try next time I get a day off. Will let you know how I get on.

I have got my set up pretty bob on now thanks guys..

But will still play, always room for inprovement???

Dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts