Help ! Looking for way back to Hi-Fi

eddielyons

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to What-HiFi Forums but have read a number of them and there seems to be good advice and discussion on all things Hi-Fi. I have come off the back of a Cyrus system that was good, but I could never listen to for a long time, it was a Cyrus 8VS2, Cyrus CD6s and B&W 685 with Van den Hul interconnects and flatline gold speaker cables. It was a good system, but I found it tough going at times. Always wanted a fuller/warmer sound that was less demanding! I tried the psx-r power supply, but found very little improvement, it was there but it was so small and no way worth the investment. In fact , I used to get better results playing CDs on my Sony DVD player ! I thought why the hell is this £600 dedicated player not able to outperform a £100 DVD player ....so I have sold the Cyrus gear. I have held on to the cables and Speakers and think they are more than adequate. The experience left me a little disillusioned with "Hi-Fi" and I lost my interest in playing music as I ended up listening to the "system", I often enjoyed music more on my car stero than my supposed Hi-Fi. Anyway, rant over and I am looking to rediscover the love for music through a decent second hand integrated amplifier this time with tone controls, 70w to 100w and with a full sound, good bass and musical if possible. Musical tastes are varied, but Classic Rock seems to take over the collection! A phono connection would also be useful as I would like to get back to vinyl at some stage. Not sure about going class A amps with the heat generated and more likely to be probelamtic second hand.

Have heard the Yamaha AS-2000 and thought it was very good, dont understand why the reviews are so poor (and why the CD6s was so lauded). I have read lots of good things about the Luxman 505f, its supposed to be a musical and fatigue free experience but I cant audition, and it seems difficult to get them in European Voltage versions. The Luxman amps are hard to come by, but I do love the classic look ! Would be grateful for any feedback, particurlarly with the Yamaha/Luxman route. Budget would be in the £700-800 region.

Thanks

Eddie

matthewpiano

Exposure and Creek are the brands to consider here. The Exposure 1010 is a ridiculous bargain at £445 and one of the most persuasive amps i have heard under 1k. Worth trying the 2010s2 and Creek 50A too.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
An RP3 TT through one of the suggestes amps will get you back on the way into vinyl again

Similar story to mine if Im honest!

Had a Marantz PM66/CD63 Ki Sig set up (sounded great)well over 10 years ago, then sold it all and then survived on a Mac/iTunes & powered speakers got the next 10 years.

2 years ago I decided to get back so bought a budget Marantz PM/CD 6004 - and started buying loads of CDs - then I discovered the loudness wars, dynamic compression etc - was hugely dissapointed with the way modern CDs sounded.......... then by chance I bought a used RP1......never looked back as my system evolved - Valves & vinyl is the real deal for me, I can isten for hours now and it sounds beautiful.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I could have argued that (imho) the weakest link in your old system was not one of the ones you've pointed out but that's neither here nor there now. Having said that, I currently use a DAD3 rather than my CD8x. More musical, less hi-fi.

I'd go with Steve's advise here and probably audition some inoffensive and cosy sounding valve amplifiers (not all are) which concentrate on the musical message rather than digging out detail which you may find distracting. Icon Audio do a smaller model which should fit your budget.

Having said that I still think your speakers will give in sooner or later ...

regards

eddielyons

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Cheers, whats the concern you have for the 685's, is there an alternative in a similar

price bracket that would suit valves? I understand that valves need servicing every

5/6 years, I will audition the Icon Audio to get an idea of the sound. The amp will

have to rock too, but it shouldnt hurt my ears after more that a couple of songs.

Thanks

Ed

eddielyons said:
Cheers, whats the concern you have for the 685's, is there an alternative in a similar

price bracket that would suit valves? I understand that valves need servicing every

5/6 years, I will audition the Icon Audio to get an idea of the sound. The amp will

have to rock too, but it shouldnt hurt my ears after more that a couple of songs.

Thanks

Ed

I can see where drummerman is coming from but I wouldn't worry too much about valve amps with your budget... unless you are seriously thinking of buying second-hand. :)

Having said that the Stereo 20 PP will just slip into your price range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts