Help - Is this normal? Audible humm from B&W ASW608 when Blu-ray paused

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
sss
As title really.

Moved into our new home on Monday which finally allowed me the space to open up my once 2-channel stereo setup to my 5.1 setup with the speakers I have collecting and hording in my loft for this very occasion. 2 x 684s, 2 x 686s 1 x LCR60s3 and the ASW608.

The sub is a B&W ASW608, connected via line level mono audio lead from the output of my Marantz SR6007. The Audessey setup sounded great (only audible sound from the sub was the setup pulses), and so did the movie... Until I paused it. Every other speaker was silent apart from the sub which was making a pretty obvious humm. It was unlike the constant buzz of a faulty lead - more irregular in tone - although constant and obvious.

Do most subs just do this when a film is paused - is it normal? Or is this irregular and needs further investigation. I had both the 'Line Level Volume' and 'Speaker Volume' knobs on the sub itself turned up to 50%ish if this has anything to do with it.

Any advice would be gratefully received - wondering whether the unit is faulty or not and I need to return.

Many thanks

Keith

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So this is not normal then.

Before I blame the equipment, is there anything I can do to check to prove or disprove a faulty sub? What part of the sub would be at fault if it were a ground fault? The internal amp?

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
try plugging the sub into the same mains extension as the rest of the system and see if it goes away.

This is not a fault is this is what it is just the way electricity can behave in a hi fi system.

I am fighting on of these issues right now so have done a bit of research and a lot of people have commented about issues with Subs. You can get an isolator which is meant to sort it out , mine arrived today so will know if it fixes it.

TRENDING THREADS